Chapter 6

Chapter 6 

I was on edge the first week back, unsure if, or when, Clay would show up. 

Desperate for distraction, I plunged into my two part-time jobs and worked as much as possible. I woke up early each morning, showered, ate breakfast, and packed a lunch, all long before Sam got out of bed. And because I still cared, I started his coffee before I walked out the door. In the evenings, a dark house greeted me when I returned home, worn out from the long day. Usually, Sam had something set aside for my dinner. I'd eat, go to bed, then start the cycle again the next morning. 

I could have asked Sam if he knew what Clay planned, but he hadn't mentioned Clay since we'd left the Compound. I feared, if I brought it up, he would think I missed Clay or something. Since I didn't want Sam sending out a call that might cause Clay to show up when he otherwise wouldn't, I kept quiet. Worry ate at me; but, as time passed, and my hectic schedule successfully prevented thoughts of Clay, I started to feel safe again. 

Three weeks before the start of school, I found the perfect roommate, Rachel. I'd been watching the papers near school when I came across her ad for a roommate. We hit it off the first time we spoke on the phone. She attended the same school in which I'd enrolled and was going into her third year in the nursing program. She rented a two-bedroom house. Her roommate from the prior year had moved out after graduation. Rachel had tried living on her own over the summer, but the bills grew too expensive and the house too quiet. 

After our call, I did some research and found the house wasn't in the best part of town, but I couldn't find anything closer that I could still afford. Plus, the unoccupied bedroom she offered came furnished with a bed and a dresser; I didn't own the bed I slept on now and didn't feel right taking it with me when I left. So, I called Rachel back and let her know I wanted the room. 

Sunday, a week before school started, I once again packed my possessions, an old familiar routine I'd forgotten while living with Sam. Sam pretended not to care I was leaving, but I knew he did. I'd only stepped out of my room for a minute to grab my shampoo and brush from the bathroom, and when I walked back into the room, I caught him slipping some money into the emergency cash I kept hidden in a half-full tampon box in my dresser. He pretended to check the dresser as if ensuring I hadn't forgotten anything. I went along with it. 

Packing didn't take long. Everything I owned fit into several messenger bags and an old suitcase I'd gotten at a secondhand store. By lunch, we had what I needed loaded into the back of Sam's truck. A passerby wouldn't have noticed the small pile. 

After one last look around the house to make sure I had everything, we climbed into the truck and started the journey. Sam looked slightly depressed as he drove. Excitement filled me, but I fought hard to keep it from showing. I didn't think my joy would give him any comfort. 

"You'll call me if you have any trouble?" Sam asked, yet again. 

"Yes, Sam. But I'm over four hours from you. I'll need to face things on my own." 

"Not on your own. Elder Joshua has moved nearby. I'll be able to contact him if you have a need." 

Sam had mentioned Elder Joshua to me a few days after I found Rachel. I knew Elder Joshua's recent move was for me but didn't make any complaint. As long as he stayed away until I needed something, we'd get along just fine. 

When we arrived, Rachel sat waiting on the front step of the small ranch house. She'd described herself on the phone as just over average height with brown hair and eyes. She'd left out everything else. Her deep, brown hair hung silky-straight, and the beautifully bronzed tone of her skin had me wondering if she had any African-American heritage. Her perfectly arched brows didn't appear tweezed or penciled, and they highlighted her darkly lashed eyes.