3: Master Meets the Newbie

"Jade, is it really necessary for you to do all this? I mean, it's 2nd period, Beck stills has until Friday. That's plenty of time. Besides, y'all are like the perfect couple." Andre tried his best to get his best friend and the scissor lover to be on talking terms again.

Jade just huffed before stuffing her backpack with her jacket she needed this morning. Jade wasn't going to talk to Beck at least until tomorrow. Not even a text. She slung her backpack over her shoulder while ignoring Andre and headed off to her philosophy class. Mr. Samuelson was her favorite teacher. Plus they got to read a lot of dark poems in that class.

The class seemed pretty laid back today. Mr. Samuelson explained to the class that they would talk about some Emily Dickinson poems, like The Chariot and Ghost. Right before the class was going to get started, there was a knock upon the locked door. All doors must be locked after the bell rings so anyone who is late has to go get a tardy pass. But the teacher went to open the door anyway and standing there was no other than Tori Vega.

Of course she's in this class too thought Jade.

The teacher was flexible, knowing it was her first day, so he let her in without needing a tardy pass. Tori looked around for a place to sit. She was glad to see that there were actual desks in this room. She was less glad to see that the only spot left was near the one girl she took note of to stay away from. Slowly she crept towards the back of the room, giving the scary girl no eye contact as that might just be the thing that tips her over the edge. Tori slings her backpack off her back and next to her desk, pulls out her laptop, and makes quick work to write down the notes shown on the projector.

"Ok class, for your next project of the year-" the class groaned. This was the seventh project and it Christmas still is yet to come. "Yes, I know. But I don't grade anything else in this class. So, usually you do these alone, but I thought it might be better to work in pairs this time. Because Tori is here now, we have an even number, so no one should be left behind. Oh and one more thing, you get to choose!"

That was something the class liked to hear. Choosing your own partners was the best part of the whole project. Jade hurriedly looked around the room. She saw Robbie and thought that he would be a good partner. She started over to demand him they they would be partners but before she could reach him, Mr. Samuelson taps Jade on the shoulder. Jade whips around because everyone knows not to touch her unless they are allowed to. But she gave her teacher this one chance.

"Jade, I think it would be nice if you and Tori worked together on this. You are scoring the highest in this class, and it seems only fit to have my best student teach the newbie. Would do ya say?" The teacher asked gently but still giving Jade barely any room to get out of this situation.

"Mr. Samuelson, I really don't think me and her would work that well together. I mean, she is the polar opposite of me and not to mention, the new girl. If you really want her to have a chance in this class, then you would pair her up with someone who is, I don't know, nice?" Jade was basically pleading now. Hoping to get through to her teacher that she would take Sinjin over Tori.

"Jade, this is only for one project and I think you might be overthinking this. Tori's transcripts from Iowa are stunning. I think you'll find that your minds are more similar than you think." Knowing there was no way out now, Jade complied. But only because she does what she wants. Mr. Samuelson thanked her and Jade went back to her desk which is directly next to Tori's.

"So, we are paired up now, thanks to Samuelson. So deal with it. And I expect work out of you. No slacking off. This project is 100% of our grade because only projects are graded. We will get an A on this because we will work for an A, got it?" Jade said to Tori sternly hoping to get her point across.

"Absolutely, nothing less than an A." And that's all that Tori said. Jade appreciated that. And if Jade is being honest, working with Tori would help her get to know her better. Jade was in control and she loved it.