13. Who did it?

"Carter, is it?" Carter saw the shadow fell over him before he heard the voice. He looked up towards the looming figure and found a calm, self-content face staring back at him.

"You know who I am," Carter replied, returning his attention back to the book he was reading. Seconds later, it was ripped away from his hand and thrown at the table in front of him, falling with a heavy thud. "Hey! What's your problem?"

"Oh, I have no problem," Levi sat down across from him, dragging the chair forward to sit a little closer, "Well, not right now at least..." he continued, looking at the book before focusing back on Carter.

Carter had gotten out of the shower 15 minutes prior to coming to the library to read, to let his mind escape somewhere else, even for just a little bit. His hair fell down his forehead in slightly wet strands, almost reaching his eyes. He hadn't bothered to sweep them off his face, which only made Levi notice his eyes, dark and stormy. Just like the weather outside.

Carter's hair was longer at the back, reaching a little further down the nape, Levi followed the trail, ignoring the purple bruises before his eyes rested on the tattoo peeking from his sweater.

"Tell me about the ink," Levi asked, more like commanded.

"What?" Carter stared dumbly at him.

"Your tattoo..." Levi sighed, already tired.

"Oh!" Carter's hand instinctively flew to his tattoo and touched it. "It's nothing."

"Hmm, I don't think so," Levi said, "Don't bullshit me. You're not the type to just get it for fun," he rolled his eyes, "What does it symbolize?" Levi spoke every word slowly, emphasizing it.

Carter's posture slumped slightly in defeat, he knew he was in the presence of a man he could not fool. I have to tread carefully, he thought as he pulled down the neckline of the sweater, revealing his tattoo.

There, in jet-Black and bold ink was what looked like a combination of a star and a ship's wheel, blending together in a blur of ink, wrapping around each other intimately.

Levi's eyebrows pulled together as he focused on what he was seeing, beyond intrigued now, "What is it?" He whispered, still studying the tattoo.

"Chaos," Carter stated quietly as Levi looked at him sharply.

"Why?"

"To... represent the first half of my life,"

Levi felt something tug at his heart... sorrow? No, no that can't be it. Why would he feel that way towards a boy he barely knew? He leaned back in his chair, taking his time studying Carter.

"Do you have any more of them?"

Carter shook his head and then asked, "What do you want?"

"To question you."

"About?"

"Eric's murder obviously."

Carter's heart rate picked up at that word. Murder. Thrown around so easily. He shifted in his seat uncomfortably, letting his emotions get the best of him as he felt his mouth go dry.

Taking a deep breath, he said, "What has that got to do with me?"

"Maybe nothing... Maybe everything," Levi said with a shrug of his shoulders, seeming nonchalant but his eyes said otherwise. "Do you need some water?" He asked Carter who looked a little pale now.

He must be suspecting me...

"No. I'm fine," Carter cleared his throat, sitting up straighter, and trying his best to resist the urge to wipe his slightly sweaty palms on his jeans.