1. The Forgotten

A/N: The story is purely fiction. Any similarity with historical occurrences, names, or places are accidental. No copyright or any form of offense ever intended. Standard xianxia/xuanhuan/cultivation terms/words are used in the story. 

Cover is made by MidnightFlowerBandit

Wattpad version is edited by @book_lover4670

Future edited chapters/revisions may only be available on Insane Munchies' website (imnovels.com)

*** *** ***

Chapter 1 – The Forgotten

*** *** ***

She could still see silhouettes of grand mountains, jagged and broken by some passing fog's illusion

Perhaps, it was not the fog. Perhaps, it was her gradually blurring sight. 

"Master, please don't go... ."

His voice was the only thing whatever was remaining of her existence was hanging on to.

'Master.'

Such was what she had been called as, for more than the past two decades.

What was her name, before that? Before she laid her eyes on him again? What did he use to call her before hundreds of years separated them both?

She already forgot.

"Master... ."

His voice was laced with grief.

Ah, but why? Was he not the one who had liberated her just a few brief moments ago? Was he not the one who had ruthlessly torn her true essence away from her mortal body?

Almost exactly like what she had done to him, a long time ago... .

An act of selfishness, to ensure that one's soul would not fade into nothingness, causing it to undergo reincarnations, over and over again.

Because she could not bear to be forgotten.

"Shuang'er... ."

She could no longer smile, but her eyelashes slightly trembled at the way he was addressing her.

No more 'Master'.

Just 'Shuang'er'.

When one steadfastly stood in front of the door that separated the living and the dead, even the most abominable memories that one had previously buried so deep, would somehow claw their way back into existence.

That day, the sky was as hazy as today. That day, she had loftily said,

"The name is Meng Shuang(1). From now on, I will be your Master. From now on, you are called Shi Yan(2)."