9. Wind of Change

The days ahead were mostly uneventful but there were new rumors in Xinlu City.

One; was how Duke Qin's residence had been attacked by a demon. People of Xinlu city were accustomed to peace. Demons and immortals were but things one would read on books, and were used to discipline little children. The officials and national guards had seemed to try to curb this rumor as well. As there was no more similar occurrence, this rumor had finally died down, replaced with the next one;

Two; Marquis Xu, Xu Bijie, had a daughter, the Seventh Young Miss Xu Yejing.

This Xu Yejing was always hidden behind the estate walls. On the off-chances she went outside the estate, she was always flanked by a pair of young bodyguards. Initially people were interested in her, telling tales on how this might be a peerless beautiful daughter the Marquis had hidden from hungry eyes. However, a confirmed intel from the Marquis' inner residence told the people that this daughter had been mute since birth.

A noble daughter who was mute, no matter how beautiful she was, was still considered disabled. Soon, people lost interest.

However, recently, the interest in Xu Yejing appeared once more, as various officials began to pay attention to this young lady. Apparently, the two Princes of Taishan, the Left Prime Minister's sons, and Duke Qin's son himself were interested in this mute Xu Yejing, after seeing her only once when Duke Qin's residence had been attacked by the rumored demon.

But compared to a demon, matters of romance between youths was always more interesting to fan to greater degree. Idle civilians began to concoct tales about a damsel in distress and how these noble young men had put their lives on the line to protect this beautiful damsel from being eaten by a demon.

Xu Yejing listened to the rumor and her mind was blank.

"I just wish Qin Zhe won't be bothered by this," Xu Yejing glanced at Fu Chun who was once again, idly polishing her blade.

Fu Chun replied, "Why would that kid be bothered? Even a blind person could see he does not have inappropriate feelings towards you."

Xu Yejing was amused. Fu Chun was not entirely oblivious to have realized the cordial brother-sister relationship between Qin Zhe and Xu Yejing, but did Fu Chun really not know Qin Zhe's real feelings?

At this time, Fu Yan bolted inside the room and immediately locked the latch.

Xu Yejing looked at him in pity, "Wu-niang?" She never refer to Gu Yuan as Mother. Not only did she feel alien to the older woman, the only 'Mother' she should officially call was Lady Jin, Marquis Xu's main wife.

As his reply, Fu Yan scoffed lightly before walking robustly towards the table and poured some tea straight from the pot into his mouth.

Xu Yejing let her gaze linger on this senior brother of hers, before looking at the silhouette of a woman from behind the latticed door. A woman's sigh was heard, then the silhouette withdrew along with sound of soft footsteps.

Fu Chun tossed him an oily paper bag, "Thank Yejing for this. She thought you might return today, so she asked me to buy some."

Inside, were some stinky tofu and fried pickled chicken feet. Fu Yan's eyes practically shone like stars in the middle of the night.

Xu Yejing watched Fu Yan devour the peculiar snacks, while Fu Chun wrapped a cloth over her nose. The latter snorted in disgust, "I don't understand your taste buds. Oh heavens, this room will stink for days!"

"Light some fragrant incenses. That'll do," Xu Yejing laughed lightly. Before Fu Yan left for his latest mission a few days ago, he seemed lethargic and lost his appetite. Fortunately, he was back to his usual self now.