5. Meeting a Friend

Nevertheless, Marquis Xu had received precious items from the Sect throughout the last fourteen years, and he knew this small support was because of Xu Yejing.

The youth who had been silent since the beginning finally spoke, "Yejing, send my personal regards to Second Miss Qin when you see her."

Xu Birou immediately teased him, "Brother, you're already engaged but you're still so perfunctory with your fiancee! You should just visit her yourself!"

Lady Jin smiled and dotingly rebuked her daughter, "Don't mock your elder brother! It's precisely because they're already engaged they must refrain from seeing each other too often, lest people would talk about how the Marquis' heir is not of proper conduct. Biyao is just concerned about Second Miss Qin's reputation."

Xu Birou extended her tongue and lovingly tugged onto Lady Jin's arm. Lady Jin sighed again, "I just wish you had more freedom. At least Yejing can actually go out to visit the Qin's residence without any calling card. Yet, you, who are the same age, can only participate in womenfolks' parties. Mother is so worried about your marriage prospect... ."

The frown returned to Xu Birou's beautiful face once again, and Xu Yejing lightly stepped backwards subconsciously when she saw Xu Birou's unfriendly gaze.

Marquis Xu immediately coaxed Lady Jin, "Alright, what are you being dissatisfied about? One, Yejing is under strict instruction to not show her real face in public. Two, in the future, Yejing will be a prominent person with the sect's backing. It's good for her to continue her friendship with Young Master Qin. Her future status and her connections will only benefit our family in the end. And finally, isn't Biyao already engaged with Qin Qiu? What's the use of Birou seeking more connection with the Qin clan? You should contact other prominent families to deepen our relationships."

Xu Biyao snorted, "Isn't that because my sister is in love with Young Mast-."

Xu Birou exclaimed in horror, "Brother!" She hid her reddened face behind her sleeves, her small shoulders shaking as though she had been bullied, "It's supposed to be a secret!"

Xu Yejing, Fu Yun, and Fu Chun immediately took their leave and tailgated out of the live soap drama.

Outside the Xu clan's gate, a divan was set on the ground. The servants and aides sent by Young Master Qin was already waiting for her.

The journey was dull, but Xu Yejing relished the feeling of being out after days being cooped in the residence. Fortunately Fu Yan came back today. Fu Yan and Fu Chun walked slowly to keep pace with the men-carried divan.

To common eyes, the carriage passed silently. The servants did not even talk to each other. However, the three people's minds were noisy.

"Yan, I want to volunteer to do the next sect's assignment, okay? Those women give me the creeps!"

"Yejing, they're your step-sister and step-mother, I understand, but those two are too much! Wait, actually even your birth mother is a cuckoo! Damn, I still have goosebumps from earlier. Again, no offense."

"No offense taken, Yan-xiong... ." She also knew, apart from some sane people in the residence, she could not relate to the others. She was even somewhat distant to her own father, who always gave her what she wanted. But it was for a reason; Xu Yejing always thought the Marquis was always polite, but his every conduct seemed calculative and cursory.

She had always felt lonely in the residence. Save for Fu Chun and Fu Yun who kept her company, she did not have any maids assigned to her. She was not close to her birth mother and Gu Yuan did not seem to be interested in cultivating a motherly bond with her as well.