3: My Secret Crush - #AimToEngage2019 - WattpadAfterDark

Unrequited Love

"I don't think I can do school much longer," I tell Tina as we walk home from school the day of the Christmas holidays. It's just gone four o'clock, but it's already dark and the moon is out. Our school is on the edge of a small Irish town, and the others rush ahead, eager to reach the festive bustle and Christmas lights of the town centre, but Tina stops in her tracks.

"What about your exams?" she protests. "You could get into art college. You're really good."

I don't care about the exams and I know she doesn't either, not really.

"Even if I did get into art college, I can't afford to go. Tina, you know that, right? Anyway, I prefer music."

"So what's going to happen? Are you not coming back in the New Year?" She doesn't sound as shocked as I expected and part of me dies a little bit. I hoped she'd mind more. A small present for her burns a hole in my coat pocket.

"Dave has left the band," I say. "They want me to replace him."

"Oh Sonny, that's amazing! You must be over the moon, it's what you dreamed of."

The rest of the gang are out of sight now. This is my chance. Tina sees me as a friend, but I have always hoped for more.

"It's all thanks to you, Tina."

"What do you mean? I didn't do anything."

"You make me want to do things. You make me believe in myself. Here!" I take out the little parcel and hand it to her. It got crumpled in my pocket, but she doesn't seem to mind.

A smile lights up her face as she unwraps the present. Inserted inside a miniature ballet slipper is the song I wrote for her.

"Oh Sonny!" She reads the title. "Muse?"

"That's what you are to me, my muse, my inspiration. I've felt like this since the first time I saw you. But I had nothing to offer you, no reason for you to be interested in me, until now."

Until now... It takes her a minute to understand what I mean.

"Sonny, it doesn't make any difference to me whether you're in a band or not. I know how important music is to you, but don't you think I'd like you anyway?"

"Really?" I laugh, unable to believe her words. "I only wanted to get into the band for you."

I pull her close and she tilts her face so her mouth meets mine. Kissing Tina feels like the most natural and wonderful thing in the world. I release her slowly saying, "This, right now, is the moment where my life is starting. Is that stupid or do you know what I mean?"

"Our life." She squeezes my hand. "We have our whole future ahead of us," she murmurs as I stoop to kiss her again.

(480 words)

Author's Note

Author's Note

This story for #AimToEngage2019, December 2019, was inspired by the prompt from WattpadAfterDark 

I've got a crush on you

The time has come to confess. Write a 1st person scene that shows MC coming clean and revealing the torch they've been carrying to their crush.

(500 words max.)

Thanks so much for checking out my work and I appreciate your time. If you enjoy slowburn, small town Teen Romance with a twist, you might like Kit & Tully.

 If you enjoy slowburn, small town Teen Romance with a twist, you might like Kit & Tully