| 16 |

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 | Luke commiserates another year that he somehow managed to cheat death

THE day was warm despite it being only 6 in the morning. It was an ungodly hour for anyone to wake up, except, it seemed, for Freyja. Now, because he and Freyja were dating, it was Luke's problem as well so that would explain why he was being dragged towards the docks at this time.

"Could you not have slept in?" Luke muttered, his arms around his girlfriend's shoulders as he yawned. "It's my birthday, and I wanted to sleep for as long as possible."

Freyja sighed, before jumping off of the dock and onto the sand beneath it, looking back up at her boyfriend with a raised eyebrow. 

"I was going to surprise you, but if you don't want it, then you can go back to bed." Freyja began to walk away, muttering about his ungratefulness as Luke perked up and hurried after her.

"If you had lead with that, then this would have been easier." Freyja rolled her eyes again as Luke pressed a kiss to her head. Luke adored surprises, so Freyja knew that she probably should have told him, but she'd wanted to keep him in the dark. 

Layla had cornered her a week before Luke's birthday and forced her to sit down and plan out what she was going to do. Freyja, who had no clue that turning sixteen was a big milestone in a human's life, had then come up (with the help of multiple others) a half decent plan.

It was why there was a picnic blanket and basket in the sand on the beach.

Luke lit up at the sight of it, leaning down to steal a kiss for Freyja's lips as she smiled. Now, all the planning and talking she'd had to do with the others was worth it, especially if Luke was happy. 

The teenager sat down on the blanket, as Freyja placed the food out, before the pair began to dig in. Whilst Luke devoured the pancakes, Freyja was more than content to eat the strawberries that she had picked from the fields, and the other fruit.

"Thanks, Bubbles." Luke smiled over at his girlfriend, who was relaxing in the sand. He tapped her knee a few times, getting her attention. "I mean it. I really enjoyed that."

"Not a bother waking you up early then?" Freyja cocked an eyebrow as Luke laughed.

"Not a problem at all. Just maybe next time, tell me there's a surprise." She laughed, before smiling at him. Luke's grin grew wider at the sight of her smile, knowing that it was the rare one that she used for people she cared about.  It was one of the things that he adored about her.