Prologue

*14 years ago*

(Y/n) P.O.V.

My father opens the door to reveal a strange man. He looks....sad? I can't tell. Ten year olds don't understand much about feelings. "May I come in? I have some rather...unfortunate news." He says to my father. My father nods, a worried look on his face. The sit on the couch, me sitting near them on the ground. I pretend I'm not listening, just playing with a stuffed dog. "Your wife made the ultimate sacrifice that saved many lives." By now, it's obvious I'm listening. "W-What do you mean?" Me father asks. "I didn't even know she was away with her squad." He mumbles. "I can't go into further details, and I apologize that her sacrifice can't be publicly honored, but I want to present you with this." His voice sounds strange, like he means more then he says. The suited man holds out a small medal.

"I would like to present you with this medal of valor. And if you look closely on the back, there's a number. And as a more concrete gesture of our gratitude, we'd like to offer you an...let's call it a favor. The nature of it is your choice. Just tell the operator "Oxford's, not Brogue's", and then I'll know it's you." My father shakes his head, pushing the hand with the medal away. "Why would I want help from the man who watched my wife die?" Then my father does something I had never seen him do. Cry. The man in the funny suit walks over to me. "What is you name?" He asks gently. "(Y/n)." I answer. I ask him his name, but he doesn't answer, so I hold out my hand to shake his, just as my mum taught me, instead. "Good manners." He praises. He hands me the medal. "Take care of that, (Y/n)." I promise that I will. He stands to leave. "My mum isn't coming home, is she?" I ask. He turns back to face me. "No, I'm sorry. Take care. Of you and your father." I nod.

I often think about that day, so many years ago. I never used the favor, and never saw that man again. It wasn't until years later that I learned the true nature of that medal. That it wasn't a Medal of Honor, but one of pity.