37

It was the day before the tournament and I had just finished packing my things when my phone started ringing. My mind filled with dread as I lifted it off of my nightstand, but I was pleasantly surprised when it was Fox that was calling and not my mother.

"Hey," I answered, sitting down on my bed.

"Come over," he replied.

My lips quirked up slightly. "Why?"

"Because," Fox said instantly.

"Why?"

He let out a long sigh. "You're going to make me say it?"

I laughed. "Say what?"

"I miss you..."

I felt my face flush at his words. I had to remind myself that we weren't actually together and that I needed to stop letting his words effect me. But it wasn't that easy.

"Okay," I said. "I'll come."

I could practically hear the smile in his tone. "See you soon?"

As soon as I hung up the phone, I headed to the shower. I was only in there for a few minutes before I dried off and got dressed. Leaving my room with my new car key, I bumped face first into Josh in the hallway.

"Why are you in such a rush?" he asked me, lifting an eyebrow as he studied my face.

"I'm gonna use the car," I said, holding up the key. "If you're not using it."

"Yeah, go ahead," Josh replied with a shrug.

I knew Josh was dying to ask me questions, even though he had made the promise to keep his mouth shut about it. To ensure he kept his promise, I turned away from him to walk down the stairs before he could say anything.

"Are you going to Fox's?" he asked as he followed me toward the stairs.

"Josh," I warned, looking at him with narrow eyes. "You said you were keeping your mouth shut."

"I know, I know," he agreed with a sigh, shoving his hand through his hair. "Are you though? That's all I want to know, I swear."

I showed him an unamused expression. "Yes. I'm going to Fox's."

"Okay," he replied. "Have fun."

I snickered at his words and his eyes widened.

"I mean, uh," Josh stuttered. "Not too much fun?"

"Josh."

"I mean— I mean." He let out a heavy breath. "I don't know what you guys do."

"I'm leaving now," I said, shaking my head at him.

After letting Dad know where I was headed, I left the house and started the journey toward Fox's place. Once I arrived, I parked on the road outside his house and made my way up to the front door. Fawn answered the door after I knocked with a distressed look on her face.

"What's wrong?" I asked, taken back by her expression.

"There's a bit of an issue," she said. "Maybe you can calm Fox down."