CHAPTER FOUR

She laughed at Emmett's cheeky jokes before punching his shoulder, playfully

She laughed at Emmett's cheeky jokes before punching his shoulder, playfully. Rosalie shook her head at her husband before sitting next to him on the couch. Cassandra watched longingly as those two kissed and hugged each other. Seeing those two together made her so happy. She was glad Rosalie had finally found her happy ending and by the way, Emmett always smiled when she entered the room, she knew he was happy as well.

She got up from her seat and ran out to meet Jasper at the back of the house where he was just sitting on the grass observing the trees. She dashed towards him and sat next to him and that's when she noticed the blur between the trees. Alice was dancing, she could tell as much, as she ran between the trees. She was calling Jasper, daring him to catch her while her mate sat on the grass with a loving smile on his face.

"She does know you can clearly see her and can easily catch her, right?" she poked his side to which he shoved her light, making her laugh.

"Yeah, but she still loves playing this game and I love seeing her laugh so I don't complain," he gave a side hug before he got up, "Now if you'll excuse me, I need to catch my mate,"

With a wink, Jasper was gone.

She rolled her eyes with a small smile on her face and got up. She started wandering around the woods, unsure of what to do. She had never felt so alone before. Usually, she would sit in her room and read but now, that felt lonely. She wanted someone to keep her company and while she knew she could easily sit with her siblings, she felt as if she was third-wheeling!

She was wandering around the woods, really close to the treaty line, making sure to leave her scent there just so he could find her. She knew he would come, or at least, she hoped so. She really wanted someone to keep her company.

Cassandra climbed on a tree and sat there, her gaze immediately going towards the sky. She couldn't stop herself from wishing for rain, she really wanted to see it again. She missed it, longed it. It had been a while – she couldn't believe she was saying this for Forks but yeah, she was – since it had rained.

She was so lost in her thoughts, she didn't know he had found her, at least not until he made his presence known. Jared – in his very beautiful wolf form – stared at her with those big eyes of his. She jumped down with a small squeal and made her way towards him.

He had short but thick brown that she wanted to run her cold fingers through. But what intrigued her a lot more was that his fur turned grey around his eyes like a mask. Wow, she thought, he looks even more beautiful in wolf form.

"Hey," she smiled.

He grunted and run past her which made her confused. Did she say something? Did he not want to see her? But her questions and doubt were soon answered when he returned wearing only a pair of cut-off jean shorts.

"Sorry, I needed to dress," he ran a hand through his dark hair, "I don't think we reached that point of dressing in front of each other in our friendship yesterday."

"Oh, we definitely didn't." she bobbed her head up and down quickly. Had she been human, her cheeks would turn red just like his own. Cute.

She gestured for him to follow her and together, they continued their last day's conversation. Jared and Cassandra asked each other questions all day yesterday and it seemed like that wasn't just enough.

"What's it like when you turn? Does it hurt?" she asked, curiosity evident in her eyes.

Jared thought about his answer for a little while and for a minute she thought she had pressed a little bit more than she should have. They haven't asked each other questions about their... species and it felt weird to do so because Cassandra had been oblivious about all of that while they talked. She forgot he was a wolf and she was a vampire, to her they were both two humans getting to get to know each other.

How naïve of her.

"It used to when I first turn but now, it's more like a part of me. I just think about it and it happens," he finally spoke, his voice velvety soft and it touched her ears so softly that she wanted him to talk forever. "I really want to tell you more but pack secrets..."

"Oh, it's fine," she reassured him but it looked like he wanted to say something more.

"It's not that you're not part of the pack. Imprints are part of the pack, they're the ones that keep a sane, more human than wolf if you will which I am thankful for by the way," she winked at him in return to which he laughed before he sobered up, "But I just feel like Sam wouldn't appreciate me telling a Cold One all of our secrets,"

"It's not a big deal, really,"

He hummed, clearly disappointed with himself. She closed her eyes to think before she opened them again and shoved him playfully on the shoulder, "Your turn, wolfie,"

He chuckled, "Favorite book? I remember you telling me you liked to read yesterday,"

She nodded, "Yeah but that's a really hard question. You can't have a favourite book. Or at least, I can't have one. I love so many. I won't lie, I love reading most genres but I'm not a historical fiction fan. I have read so many and due to my enhanced eyesight, I can read a lot of them in a night which I prefer not to do because then, you miss the magic of reading it as a normal human would,"

Jared listened as she answered in a weird way his question, his eyes never leaving her face. Cassandra spoke quickly without even realizing it, her eyes darting across the woods then, on him and then back towards the woods as she did so and he found it really cute. He could tell how much she loved books and it was quite adorable.

"Okay, okay," he cut her off, "I get it. You like a lot of books. I won't ask again,"

She laughed at him and shoved him again making him 'hey!' her which made her laugh even more. He was quite ridiculous.

Maybe this wouldn't be so bad after all.