Chapter 2: Coming of Age 下

"I don't play with girls," he scoffed.

Behind me, the spectators voices intensified, " Can she really play? This young sir won three times in a row with boys even older than him."

Hearing this, I looked at him, "Do you really don't play with girls or are you afraid playing against them?"

His face immediately turned red, "Fine, let's do this and see who's afraid of who?"

I smiled, "Let's make it even more exciting."

He raised an eyebrow, "Oh? How?"

"How about we each cover our eyes and shoot the arrow?" I suggested.

"So be it," he proceeded to cover his eyes with a cloth, "Then I shall go first."

He stepped back and very quickly he pulled on the bow and the arrow flew out.

Bullseye.

The audience applause and naturally he smiled. The second and third bow both flew out fluidly and respectively landed in the middle. The boy's confidence gradually increase as my sister began to worry.

"My turn," I smiled. I covered my eyes with the cloth and pulled out an arrow. This was easy. Ever since I was young, all my siblings taught me what they know best. Eldest brother stuffed me with poems and books, second brother taught me some marital arts, while my Shuizhu pushed me to cook, paint, and learn needle work.

Needless to say, I like my second brother the most and even beat him in bow and arrow.

My first and second arrow flew out fast and landed straight in the middle. After hearing the audience cheer and the boy's disbelief, I launch my third arrow. I wanted the third arrow to split open the second. I've never tried this before, so this could count as me doing something risky.

I released and heard the sound of wood breaking.

Yes. I succeeded.

Happily, I pull the cloth off and stared at my work proudly. The third arrow split the second arrow perfectly in the middle.

"Uhhh," the Mister hesitated, "The winner..."

"She won," the boy stated, "Give her the rouge."

I smiled, "Thank you, but why do you need the rouge?"

"I wanted to gift it to my mother," he sighed, "Now I think I have to gift something else."

"Miss, it's almost time for your performance," my personal maid Sister Ju informed.

"Bye," I waved to the boy in the blue jacket.

"Bye, nice shot by the way," he complimented.

I smiled and ran to my friends who already was following Sister Ju.

Today, I'm performing with my sister as she will dance while I play the Guzheng. Mother said this a honor and told us we need to perform well. Since sister became an adult and is in the age of marriage, she needs ways to put herself out there. 

"Are you ready?" I asked her.

"Are you?" She fidgeted.

"Eh, I don't really care that much," I shrugged.

"True, but this is my chance to catch the eyes of noble families."

"Next, we have a performance by Gui Shuizhu and Gui Jialing," the eunuch proclaimed.

"Good luck," I whispered to my sister as I carried the Guzheng out.

I placed my Guzheng down and glanced that the audience.