Chapter thirty-nine: Warm welcome

Chapter thirty-nine: Warm welcome (Faith's POV)

We spent the next three days at the lakehouse and were now five minutes away from home and I was craving my bed after being seated in the car for so long. I sighed while climbing out before stretching. 

Alex went to grab his bags along with mine while I leaned on the car. "Do you wanna come over?" he asked. 

"Just let me shower and meet my parents, I'll come over in a bit," I kissed him quickly before we went to our houses. I walked in and my parents were sitting on the couch talking. "Hey, guys!" I set my bag down and got myself some water before going and meeting them. 

"Hi, honey," my mom said. "Are you okay?" I knew what she was referring to. She wasn't able to come to see me after the incident at the beach because she was already at the airport but dad had to leave from work. 

"I'm fine, mom," I smiled at her. 

"What the hell happened?" she sighed. 

"Everything just got out of hand. It's fine, the sheriff took him to the station, they sorted it out." I shook my head. 

"No, they didn't. They let him off with a warning," she said. 

"What?" I asked in confusion. 

"They said since this is the first time they're hearing anything against him, they're obligated to just let him off with a warning," she pinched the bridge of her nose. 

"That's not how it's supposed to work. A criminal isn't let off on their first crime." 

She sighed, "I know," she nodded in agreement. I ran my hand through my hair in frustration before grabbing my phone and keys. "Where are you going?!" my parents called after me as I opened my front door. 

"To the station." I ran over to Alex's first and rang the doorbell a few times. 

He answered the door with a confused face. 

"We're going to the station." 

He grabbed his keys nonetheless but looked at me in confusion. 

"They let him off with a warning because this is the first complaint they've gotten for him." I was fuming at this. How can they do that? It doesn't matter if it was the first or not, the point is that he hit me and that's classified as assault. Alex sped to the station and I stormed in immediately. 

"Can I help you, Ms. Hughes?" the sheriff stood up. 

"You let him off with a warning?" I looked at him in disbelief. "Are you kidding me?" 

He sighed and told me to take a seat. "What's the problem?" he asked. 

"The problem, sir, is that he assaulted me and you let him go without a single consequence being given." I glared. 

"It's his first complaint, you all are kids, he'll grow out of it," he shrugged. 

I am about to punch this bitch. 

"Would you have let him off if he killed someone because it's his first crime?" I scoffed. 

"A homicide murder is very different from your case, Ms. Hughes," he gave me a pointed look. 

"It may be different but last I checked, assault is classified just as much as a crime as a homicide." I glared. 

"I can't punish him the way I would a murder now, can I?" he arched an eyebrow at me.