Chapter Twenty-Nine

We got in the Edison and Noah began the drive down the mountain to Mathers Place. Now that it was solidly dark outside and the night was winding down, I realized I was covered in a thin layer of ocean salt. I felt vaguely crusty, and my eyelids started to feel like they were an inch thick. By the time Noah pulled up in front of my house, it was really hard to keep them open.

I kissed him one more time. Okay, maybe a few more times. Fine—we made out for ten minutes or so before I finally wrenched myself away, armful of dirty clothes in tow. I waved from the porch until the Edison was out of sight. That was when I noticed Mom's car wasn't there.

I let myself into the house and checked my phone as I dumped my clothes in the washing machine. There was a text from Mom from an hour or so before.

Mom: Totally forgot about book club tonight! Leftovers in the fridge if you're hungry. Text me when you're home!

I sent her a text on my way down the hall to my room. I figured I'd grab some pyjamas and have a quick shower before bed, to wash the Santa Monica ocean out of my hair and off my skin—but when I opened my bedroom door, I almost jumped out of that skin.

Ms. Warren stood in the middle of my room, waiting for me.

"Jesus Christ, you scared me," I gasped. "What the fuck are you doing here?"

She looked me up and down, taking in the red silk dressing gown, and raised an eyebrow.

I held my head up high and tied it a little tighter. "If you're going to hide out in my house, you get what you get."

She shrugged. "Fair enough."

"So are you going to tell me what you're doing here?"

"We pinged your phone at the Lord residence tonight, but you didn't clock any recordings."

"I forgot it in Noah's car. We had just been swimming, so all my clothes and things were kind of in a jumble."

I was proud of myself—that sounded like a pretty legit excuse, and not like my resolve was crumbling.

"You aren't having second thoughts about this, are you?"

"No! No, it's just... I didn't have time to get my phone before we went in and met his family. That's all."

"Was this the first time you've met the Lord family?"

"Yeah."

"Any impressions?"

"They were completely normal," I said. "I mean, they like to put on records and dance around together."

They're more of a family than mine was. I stopped myself before I could say it. The WIA didn't need to hear that.

I didn't want to hear my own voice say it.

"Was Decker Lord present?" Ms. Warren asked.

"Yes."

"What was he like?"

"He was... kind of on the outside," I said. "He was off in another world."

There was so much more I could say, but this wasn't just Decker Lord, tech giant that I was talking about—this was Decker Lord, my boyfriend's dad. No matter how overprotective and overzealous I thought he might be, it felt wrong to talk to the WIA about him.

"Will you be going up to the Lord residence again anytime soon?" she asked.

Damn—they could clearly tell when I was there. Forgetting my phone wasn't going to work a second time.

"Uh, yeah. Thursday night. For dinner."

She nodded. "Cool, cool. Well, we'll expect your transmission, and you can expect us to be in touch again soon."

"Great. Got it."

She left through the back door, disappearing into the backyard like a ghost after giving me a goofy wave just like she did in the hallway at school. The juxtaposition almost gave me whiplash.

I mulled it over in the shower, but I didn't come to any kind of useful conclusion. I was going to have to record the Lords on Thursday, for better or worse. Even though it made my stomach squirm.

The worst part was that I had no one to confide in. I couldn't worry Noah with this. Josiah might get too excited about the secret agent stuff; I didn't know if I could trust him to keep his mouth shut. My parents would freak out.

What about...

I turned the water off and stood there for a moment, thinking.

Maybe I did have someone.

I sent her a text as I was settling into bed.

Riley: Hey. Would you be able to meet me tomorrow a.m. in the studio around 7:45? I have to talk to you about something really important.

Chloe: I guess.