Chapter Thirty-Seven

Once we had had our way with each other, we jumped right from the treehouse window down into the pool below. I entered the water and opened my eyes as I sank to the rocky bottom. The water all around me was a deep sapphire blue, with sunlight beaming down like golden spears. Noah swam around me, fluid as a mermaid. I would have stayed down there forever if I didn't need to breathe.

Noah and I paddled around, splashing and chasing each other, but never for long. Catching each other was too much fun. We cornered each other in the little pools trapped by the willow's gnarled roots, kissing until our lips were swollen and sore.

When our fingertips were puckered and our toes wrinkled, we got out, dried off, and changed into togas Noah had the nanobots make when I commented that this place felt too magical to wear jeans in. We laid back on the circular bed, depleted of energy, except for what it took to talk.

Noah answered all my questions about the nanobots. Yes, there were limitations: there had to be a perimeter set for them to work within, and anything they created had to already be within that perimeter so the bots could replicate the right cells.

"On this island, they can build anything using wood, iron, rock, or gold," he said, "because those are naturally occurring. They can also make a wide variety of food, because they can replicate and combine ingredients from our underground storeroom, and organic matter when there are living beings on the island."

"But within those limitations, they can basically do anything?" I asked.

"Pretty much."

"No wonder he's so secretive," I said. "Nanobots that give you god-like powers, on top of the app that finds your soulmate and fucking flying cars. Your dad has basically invented everything the human heart has ever desired."

If the WIA knew what I knew now, they would want to nuke Decker Lord off the face of the earth. I thought I understood why, but what if they didn't just want to make sure Decker's tech wasn't spyware? What if the government wanted to steal it and monetize it for themselves?

"Do you want to know a secret?" Noah asked.

"Yes."

"You can't tell anyone. And I mean anyone."

Guilt flickered in my stomach. I thought of Ms. Warren, Chloe, the WIA. I swallowed.

"I know what 'secret' means," I said, hoping he believed me.

His theatrical instincts took over. Noah rolled onto his stomach and looked down at me with that delicious smirk, his damp hair all wild. That one lock of hair flopped over his forehead.

"Dad didn't invent shit," he said. "He didn't invent the nanobots or the Edison's systems. He kind of invented Temptr, but only in that he adapted the detection technology into an app."

"Did he discover it, then?" I asked. "Or did he steal it?"

"He imported it."

Noah's smile grew as he watched me try to puzzle it out. There was a playful glint in his eye, like this was the most fun he'd ever had. I wondered if maybe it was, but then something else wedged its way into his expression. He didn't just look gleeful—he looked terrified. He looked reckless. He looked like he was throwing caution to the wind and making a last-ditch, desperate effort to be understood. This was probably the most he'd ever said about his dad. I expected Decker Lord to burst in the door right then and there to put a stop to all this.

My heart crashed against my ribs.

"Imported," I repeated slowly. "Interesting choice of words."