Chapter 13: Out Of All Your Friends

With music blasting through the speakers of the car, Miles drove into a parking lot surrounded by dry brush. I looked around us in surprise as he turned off the car. I was expecting something right in the center of town, not in a woody-looking place.

"We're here," Miles said as he pointed towards a small white building surrounded by trees and rocky cliffs in front of us that said 'Greek Theater'.

I only remember hearing dad talk about this place once or twice. I tried to remember anything I could about the place but nothing about the conversation stood out. "You're playing here?" I asked.

"Don't look so surprised," Miles chuckled as he got out of his Subaru and tossed his keys to a guy who walked up to us.

He caught them with a nod then continued to walk to the car without another word.

"Thanks for the drop off," Miles said to him then walked across the street to the white building.

We walked through some gates and past doors that looked like they needed to be replaced or just painted over. On the other side was a hall that stretched down with doors on both sides. As we passed doors, I noticed signatures on the doors. All from famous people that even I knew about.

We passed a few people who were black, taking trash out and milling around. None paid much attention to us, making me believe that Miles had been here before and knew where he was going.

"This isn't the first time you have played here," I stated as I watched him walk with such confidence.

He shook his head as he tugged on his loose-fitting white T-shirt to straighten it. "Nor will it be the last," he said with amusement filling his voice, hinting of excitement. He enjoyed performing. I hadn't seen him this excited ever. He was made for this, but what made me upset was, why hadn't I made him this excited?

Finally, he led me through some doors that said Kit Keen on it.

"The King has arrived!" a balding man cheered as he looked up from his phone when we walked into the room. "Kit, you told me you would be here an hour ago."

Miles shrugged casually, as if it wasn't a big deal. "Sorry, traffic."

We ran into no real traffic, but I held my mouth shut about that fact.

"Look, Redding isn't ideal for you. It is just some podunk little worthless town...."

"But I have told you before, I like it there," Miles said as he looked at me to see if I was ok with those insults.

The truth was, I was ok with it. Redding wasn't my identity, it never would be. Redding was small, just a speck on the map, and I knew I was more than Redding and what it offered. I wasn't offended by the man because one day I would get out of Redding myself. That had always been a goal.

The balding man sighed as his attention turned towards me. "And you finally brought someone with you this time."

"This is Isla," Miles said as he introduced me to the man.

"Pleased to meet you. Joe Stanley."

"Joe's my assistant stage manager," Miles explained.

"I've been with Miles for months now. Nice kid." Joe smiled, proud of that fact as if Miles was someone impossible to be with. "So, Isla, tell me, have you ever been backstage at a concert before?"

Cautiously I looked around the room to make sure no one would judge my honest answer. Since it was just Joe and Miles, I thought it would be safe. "I have never been to a concert before," I admitted shyly.

He raised his eyebrows in shock. "Well, you're in for a treat. Things are about to get lively in the next few hours." He chuckled as his phone rang. He swore loudly as he slapped his leg in frustration. "I have to take this. Miles, I want a sound check done in ten." And with that, he left the room.