Chapter 26: Wearing Me Down

"Want to go out?" I texted Miles as I looked at the weather report on my phone, noticing that it was going to be above 60 for the first time in weeks. It would be good enough to kick the ball around and I didn't want to miss my chance to practice since tryouts were next week.

It had been a few weeks since we got back from LA. And slowly, I saw him start to improve. He even wore short sleeves the other day. Here in Redding, he wasn't guarded. Many people in town knew he was famous, but they didn't seem to give him any special treatment. Miles liked that.

"Sure. What did you have in mind?" Miles texted back instantly.

He was always quick to respond.

I smiled as I pulled on a pair of shorts that I stole from Everly's room. "Just wear some gym clothes and sneakers. I'll see you soon," I texted him, then slipped on a shirt as mom walked into my room.

"Isla, can we talk?" Mom asked as she walked into my room with a concerned look.

I nodded as I sat down on my freshly made bed, ready to give her my full attention.

"I have to go to Portland for business. I was trying to get one of my contacts to do it for me, but he just bailed."

I breathed a sigh of relief. I was expecting something worse from her worried face. "Sure. When do you leave?"

"Now."

So, it was last minute, but this wasn't anything new. She had gone on last-minute trips for work before. I knew I had to look after Everly. "When will you return?"

"Tomorrow night if it all goes to plan."

I got up from the bed and hugged her. I could hold down the house while she was gone, but I would miss her. "Ok. Be safe."

She held me tight. "I will. I don't want to wake Everly up, can you tell her?"

"Of course."

"I love you, Isla."

I smiled at her as I watched her leave the room. "I love you too."

As I pulled my straight blonde hair into a ponytail, I heard the garage door open then close again, signaling she left.

I walked down the stairs, each step seemed to echo. With mom gone, the house felt empty. Memories of the first days that Dad died came flooding through my mind as I slowly shuffled my socked feet around the house.

My throat tightened as I tried not to focus on those thoughts.

Breathe.

Mom refused to go any farther than the garage after he died.

Breathe.

I shook my head to clear the memories as a knock on the door came. On the other side, Miles was dressed in workout clothing and wore a smile on his face, unsure what I was fighting back. "So what is the plan?"

I forced a smile as I tried to get excited about soccer. "Want to practice soccer with me?" I asked as I slipped on some Nike shoes.

"That sounds perfect."

He always thought my ideas were perfect. But I wondered if he really liked them. No wanting to linger on the thought, I forced him out the door again and within minutes we were at the school soccer field running around, kicking the ball back and forth.

I stole the ball from Miles easily as he tried to get it back. We did this continually until Miles stumbled to the ground.

I waited for him to get up from the ground, but as I looked at his sweaty and pale body, I knew he couldn't go any further. I ran over to him, leaving the ball in the field. "Are you ok?" I asked as I handed him a water bottle.