-4-

"Okay, so I've created these earbuds that should filter out your screams," Tails said the next morning, presenting tiny black earbuds to the team. "We can't test them until (Y/n) next screams, which I'm hoping shouldn't be soon, but we should also be testing what stimulates the screams so that we can help control them." He glanced at the (a/t). "Right?" She nodded, not looking up from the floor. 

"You doing okay?" Sonic asked her quietly, pulling her away from the team. She nodded. "Doesn't seem convincing. Did Shadow say anything?" She quickly looked up. "I took a run last night and saw you walk into his room. Didn't hang around, though. What did he say?" 

She shook her head. "Anything bad?" Another shake. "Okay, good." He patted her shoulder. "Hey, look! There he is!"

"Shadow!" Tails exclaimed. He held out the earbuds to him. "These will help with the screams. I thought that since you're the Ultimate Lifeform...." The fox looked away awkwardly, his ears drooping. Shadow snatched the earbuds and took them out of the case, putting them in his ears.

"How do we know if they'll work?" he asked gruffly.

"Whenever she screams," Tails said.

"What if that never happens again?"

"Well...."

"I'll train her." Everyone turned to face the dark hedgehog.

"Um, what?" Sonic said. "What do you mean by train her?" 

"I will help her to control the screams," he said. "So that she can defend herself. She could be a useful addition to the team if only she could control them." 

"Why do you even care?" Rouge asked, genuinely confused. 

"No one deserves to be as afraid as she is," Shadow said simply, crossing his arms. "I want to help her." 

"Okay, hold that thought," Tails said. He began typing. "I was working on something just in case someone couldn't communicate by direct speech. They can just insert this in their ear and it will be like a comm, except it'll be communicating by the voice of the AI I'll install as her commlink. She'll be able to communicate her thoughts to us by the AI just like anyone else, only she'll do it at all times instead of having to write or learn sign language, which would still be a good idea in case it fails at some point." 

The fox picked up the device, twisted a few things, then brought it over to the (a/t). She followed his directions and put it in her ear. Tails took a corresponding piece and put it in his own ear. "Okay, think of something you want me to hear," he said. (Y/n) thought for a moment, then-

"I think your fur is cool.

"Thanks," he said, grinning widely. He raised his hands. "It works!" 

"Wait! I want to try!" Sonic said, darting over. Tails gave him the earpiece and the blue blur put it in his own ear. 

"I wish I could run like you.

"Aw, don't worry. I'll take you for a run someday. All you have to do is ask." She smiled softly and Sonic turned to Tails. "This thing is awesome, buddy! How long until we all have one?" 

"Well, I'll work on making the filters and these the same device, so maybe a week. Meanwhile, while Shadow has the only filter, it would be best if she stayed with him...and trained with him." Sonic narrowed his eyes and studied Shadow, who met his gaze evenly. 

"Alright," he said grudgingly. He looked over at (Y/n). "You tell me if you need anything. Feel free to visit anytime, okay?" She nodded.

"Here, Shadow," Tails said, handing him the earpiece. "Just for a little, keep both handy." The dark hedgehog nodded and accepted, fitting it in his ear and closing the filter in the case to make room. 

(Y/n) turned to her right when someone tapped her shoulder. "Stay safe," Whisper murmured. The (a/t) signed 'thank you' as she knew what it meant, and by the way Whisper smiled, she guessed the wolf did, too. 

"Alright, get out of here!" Sonic shouted, waving his arms. "Nothing to see here anymore!" 

The team went their separate directions and the (a/t) was slightly disturbed by the worried looks she got. Then it was just her, Sonic, and Shadow. "Be nice," the blue hedgehog growled lowly, though (Y/n) still heard. Shadow's lip twitched and Sonic slunk out of the room. Then they were alone. 

"Alright," Shadow said after a moment of silence. "Best we get started. Follow me." She projected nothing and kept her expression neutral as he exited the warehouse and they walked down the street to the edge of the city where the buildings were sparse and no one appeared to be around. 

"Tell me," Shadow said without looking at her, staring off into the distance. (Y/n) stared at his form for a moment before looking down. "Why do you scream? What stimulates it?" 

"I don't know." Shadow huffed. "I'm sorry.

"No," he said. "It must be new to you, as well." She nodded, but he hardly looked at her. I don't like him. 

"I see his face." 

"Who is he?" 

"Dr. Starline.

"The doctor's lackey." Another nod. "Well then, I'm assuming it must be the trauma of the situation. No one who went through that could have come out...entirely sane." She glanced at him with an offended expression. 

"What are you saying about me? That I'm not sane? Well, sorry if I'm not actually a Mobian and I just want to go home and build something or program or something! I'm sane enough that at least I'm trying!" Shadow finally looked at her and she bit her lip hard. "Sorry." He said nothing and she edged away from him. 

"You're not Mobian?" he said softly. She shook her head and hugged herself, not meeting his gaze. "Then what are you?" 

"A sick experiment.

"Well...I'm not exactly Mobian either." She didn't look up, though her ears perked curiously. "I was created by Professor Gerald Robotnik to protect someone named Maria. I...." He turned his head away. "I failed." 

"I'm...I'm sorry. I had no idea.

"And nor did I about where you came from. I was insensitive. I'm sorry." He turned to face her fully. "Let me start over." She paused a moment, then lifted her head to meet his eyes. 

"Alright.