-19-

"Bend your knees. Then swing. Yep. Like that." Detonator moved with (Y/n), Teleporter watching on the track above the floor, tail swishing. "Now, pretend that I'm your opponent. Go straight for between the eyes. Maybe launch a-" The (a/t) landed a jab - a soft one - between the panther's eyes and an uppercut with the same velocity to his chin, then a side kick to his gut. He stumbled back, rubbing his jaw. 

"Alright," he said. "You know your stuff." 

"I know most self defense techniques, too. I can use a few weapons. It just fascinated me back home. Maybe I knew I would need it.

"Well, good on you, then," Detonator said. He glanced up at Teleporter, who had, surprisingly, been joined by Shadow. However, the dark hedgehog didn't look as interested as the cheetah, frowning down at them. "Tall, dark, and brooding has arrived."

"I'm going to get something to drink." (Y/n) abruptly left the room. 

Shadow met up with her in the faculty room where the fridge and drinks were. She grabbed a bottle of water, though kept the cap on, one of her ears twisting back. "You seem to be avoiding me," he said, arms crossed. 

"What gave it away?

"Why?" 

"Because even though you basically admitted you're not still the Ultimate Lifeform, you act like it. All high and mighty." She turned to face him. "Honestly, I'm doing my best. But it's hard. Do you get me?" She uncapped the bottle and took several gulps. 

"I am trying," Shadow said, looking at the floor. 

"I know. But let me tell you something. Have you ever considered Sonic at all? The way he actually relies on his teammates? He knows he can't do everything, even if he might act like it. He lets his teammates help him, run alongside him, while you...." She looked away. "I want to help you, Shadow. And I want to support you. You just have to let me.

Shadow considered his response. "Would you walk with me later?" he asked slowly after a moment. She stopped with the bottle halfway to her mouth. 

"What?" she signed, blinking in surprise. Shadow's ears flattened and he didn't meet her gaze, glowering at the floor tiles. 

"Yes," he said gruffly. She quickly finished off her water and threw the bottle into the recycling bin. 

"Okay," she signed. "Training with Detonator rest of afternoon." She cringed at her own grammar but didn't seem to care much after that. She walked past him without another word. 

~

"Great news!" Detonator called, scampering out of the medical room. "Silver the Hedgehog is officially on the mend! Perhaps HQ will give us an opportunity to run this mission now that we've got a telekinetic on our side!" 

"Great!" Teleporter said. "One problem. HQ is having a particularly hard time tracking the Emeralds. They found one, but none of the others are nearby." 

"You've got to be kidding me," Detonator said. "They split up the Emeralds?!" 

"After such an easy steal last time," Teleporter said. "Yeah. They learned from their mistakes. They're probably each in a different facility, now." 

"We're going to be spread thin looking for those!" Detonator groaned. Shadow and (Y/n), who'd been sitting in the background the whole time, glanced at each other and sighed. 

"We have a lot of work to do," Teleporter said, rubbing her hands together. "I'll be in the computer lab if anyone needs me! Hopefully the captain of my old squad doesn't try and flirt with me again. That was a train wreck." 

"When did this happen?" Detonator asked, hurrying after his partner as they disappeared around the corner. 

"One piece of bad news after another," the (a/t) said, hugging herself. "Are we ever going to get back to our time?

"I will make sure of it," Shadow said. He glanced at her. One of his ears twisted backwards awkwardly. 

"Are you waiting for me to prompt you?" she asked with a teasing look on her face. 

"I...y...yes...." His face turned red and he looked away, his ears dropping against his head.

"Okay. Let's go." She waved for him to follow her as she walked to the exit. "We can go see if Teleporter's captain tried to flirt with her when we get back."

Shadow followed (Y/n), falling into step beside her as they walked down the street. The dark hedgehog glanced warily at everyone he passed, but no one seemed to notice him. Another reminder that here, he wasn't who he used to be.

"Did you want to talk to me about something?"

"I would like to ask for your help," he said. "You offered it, and I...." He sighed. "I am realizing how much I need it. Back in our time, I was so confident. I could do anything." He glanced at her, but she simply waited for him to continue. "And now...." He looked away.

"Shadow-"

"I feel mortal for once in my life!" he burst out. (Y/n) blinked. "My whole existence, I've felt burdened, that I would have to live forever and deal with my mistakes! No one in this world has ever had to, and will probably never, have to do that!" He grit his teeth, stopping and placing his hand on his head. "For once in my life, I feel like I can start over."

(Y/n) was silent. She glanced at the Mobians milling around them, then grabbed his free arm and pulled him behind the building they were by. Shadow opened his eyes, shaking his head.

"So, you've been holding that in for a while," she said. "I'm here for you, okay? If you need anything, just talk to me." She smiled softly. "I know a lot about being mortal."

Shadow leaned against the wall, shaking his head. "I...I've never felt so vulnerable," he breathed and she grabbed both his arms. He stared into her eyes, the rest of his words dying in his throat. What if....

"Oi! Shadow! (Y/n)! We got something, mates! Let's get back to headquarters pronto!" Detonator said through their comms. (Y/n) sent a quick confirmation they'd gotten the order and stepped away from Shadow.

"Shall we?" she said, gesturing at the street. Shadow nodded quickly shaking himself off. What had just happened back there? He didn't know, but for some reason, he knew it was probably going to happen again.