XXVIII: No Air, No Air

GIANNA

I knew I wasn't supposed to, but the state of the house was irking me to my core. So, I began cleaning. I lifted heavy laundry baskets that Zion would be furious at seeing in my hands and rushed from one side of the house to the other. Lately, I was barely able to make it out of bed before Zion zipped to my side ready to both assist and baby me.

Even at Kadeem's first birthday party a week ago, Zion hadn't allowed me to do more than cut the first slice of cake. No, I had to 'sit on the couch and relax' unless I was snapping pictures.

His methods were as affectionate as they were annoying. With my bump beginning to show, he'd grown even more attentive. He didn't let me leave the house without him and a slew of Tags, much less have anyone inside our home.

So, I was even happier to open the door and usher in David and Malachi. They'd called earlier saying Georgia wanted them to check on me and bring me dishes of hers that I enjoyed. Who was I to refuse peanut butter cookies and jambalaya?

I set the platter of cookies on the counter and began eating them immediately, "I have been craving these like crazy. You wouldn't believe how many jars of peanut butter I've finished just this week."

"You sure it's alright for us to be here, Gi?" David asked as they hesitantly sat on the couch. "King's been really wound up lately. I can't have a cap in my ass."

Malachi nodded, "Yeah, where is he at anyway?"

I swallowed my cookie before answering, "He went to pick up Kadeem from his grandmother's house."

"Whose kid is that anyway," Malachi continued, "one of King's baby mommas'?"

"King's only 'baby momma' is me," I assured him confidently, "and I'm sure we'll get married before I give birth."

"What about the baby shower?" Malachi eyed my stomach. "Are you ever gonna be able to see your family long enough to have one?"

I smiled excitedly and grabbed my nearby vision book. I brought it to the couch and sat between them, "I have it all planned out. I want gender neutral colors since I want to surprise Zi—King at the very end of the party."

David looked it over, "This doesn't look half that bad."

"Good, then just make sure your wives pick out the gifts," I joked before standing. I was just picking up the book when the front door opened. My smile fell as King's eyes met mine. "Hi."

My boyfriend looked around the room, his eyes shifting between the two brothers before settling on me again.

I rushed to settle his nerves before he blew up. I came to his front and took Kadeem before kissing him long and hard, "Hi, baby."

He held me close, but turned to my cousins, "Get out."

The two older men jumped up and muttered low apologies. They nodded farewell as I became upset.

Zion slammed the door behind them and set down the diaper bag and little suitcase before frowning down at me, "Why are you crying?"

I veered away from his hands, "You didn't have to make them leave, Zion."

"They know they should be here," he said simply. "You know that they shouldn't be here."