4: Trees

Gavin

Out of all the mistakes I did that day, the worst one was backing out. Sometimes doing that will push you forward when all you want to do is take a few steps back.

For a town that was dominated by cold, watery winters, Rivertown was very green. It didn't snow much; mostly rainy days and cold mornings. But the majority of the greenery was adapted to cold climates.

Green trees, green leaves, green meadows. A lot of those circled the surroundings of the town. It was familiarly unfamiliar.

It wasn't raining today, but I could smell the rain from yesterday as I sat underneath a tree in Midtown Park. A tree with dark green foliage, surrounded by dark green grass.

I remembered as I sat underneath this same tree, twelve years ago, crying because everyone hated me. It wasn't as sad as I thought it was back then, but it was sad enough to make me remember it after all these years.

That day was pivotal in ways I never expected. I didn't know a day could make or break my future. Yet that very day did both, and I was too young to realise that.

My phone started ringing. "Hey, Val," I spoke to the earpiece.

"Gavin Ross, you better get your ass up and sit somewhere else." Val scolded.

I frantically looked around me, but saw no one. "How did you know-"

"Hey, Val," she mocked the tone I spoke in. "Your depressed ass needs to move on." My sister had freaky ways of knowing what I'm thinking about. "It's been like, what, a decade? You're still hung up on one person you met when you were six years old. Six years old, Gavin. He probably forgot you existed. He could be dead for all you know."

"Don't say that. What the hell?"

"Listen little brother,"

I interrupted her before she could continue. "You're one year younger than me."

"Not the point, my child," I rolled my eyes. "I'm wiser and hence older. Anyway, I know your academic life is doing well, your family life is doing well, but your emotional life isn't. It's frozen in uncertainty."

"I know that."

"How's mom?" as if on cue, the sound of glass breaking in the background resonated.

"She's trying to make biryani for the third time. It's... We're probably ordering food again. I feel sorry for the rice at this point." Mom barely knew how to cook, and Indian dishes were difficult as hell.

"Good luck."

"Cheer up you big idiot."

"I'll try."

We hung up.

I needed to see his binder. The artwork in it looked similar to the one I drew, but I didn't get more than a split second of a glimpse at it. I was putting a lot of effort into one silly drawing, disregarding my feelings, and I knew it.

I knew what I was doing to myself and I knew it was wrong, yet there I was, texting my friends to know where Zane Murad lived so I could show up at his house.

I drove back home, parked my car there and walked to his house. The town wasn't too big, and most places could be reached on foot easily.

I debated knocking on his front door. I didn't muster enough courage to do that so I backed away.

Bumping into someone was the last thing I thought would happen, especially because I didn't hear anyone coming from behind.

"I'm sorry," I gasped. I was met with a radiant brunette with an almost perfect brown complexion. She could only be Zane's sister.

"May I help you?" She was young, but definitely older than us.

I hesitated. "I'm looking for Zane, but,"

"But?" she inquired.

"I don't want to enter the house. Well I want to enter his room just not the house if you know what I mean."

She cocked an eyebrow, her eyes squinting a little.

"No, not like that, oh my God." I quickly explained. "I just-"

"Come with me." she said. She walked me to the side of the house, where a huge oak tree stood marvellous. "What's your name?"

"Gavin. Gavin Ross." I was intimidated by her, not gonna lie.

"ID."

"What?" I was mildly confused.

"Show me your ID." I did. She examined it, hummed, then gave it back. "Arms up." she didn't wait for me to lift them before starting to search me.

"What are you doing?"

"How do I know you're not here to kill my brother?"

"No, what the hell. I'm here because I like your brother." I regretted what I said right as I said it.

She didn't look amused. "You what?"

I couldn't look her in the eyes. I accidentally outed myself to Zane's sister, and God knew what was going to happen when she told him.

She could probably see my discomfort so she stopped pressuring me.

"Is my brother gay?" She paused for a second. "Actually, I don't wanna know."

She pointed at an open window. "See that?  That's his window. Climb up, champ." And with that, she left.

A/N: How are you liking the story so far? I'll update more soon x.
Thanks for reading!