13. A Bolt From The Blue

Sometimes people surprise us. People we believe we know.

~Joyce Carol Oates

***

Suddenly all energy left Marcus. He was lost for words, unable to process what he had just heard. He sat on the ground, the impact of what had happened hitting him with a striking force.

The situation was no different for Jeff. The horror in his eyes was too real. He began hyperventilating, the shock on him too great to comprehend.

They sat in that state of silence for about three minutes. Marcus was the first to break it.

"H-h-how? Mr Stevens? Sheila? Him?" He shook his head, trying to find the correct words to explain all the emotions surging inside him.

"I always thought that face of his was murderous but not to this extent," Jeff remarked, trying to make sense of what they had just heard.

"But why?" Marcus was almost shouting. He still couldn't believe what he had just heard.

Michelle looked hopelessly at the two boys. She was finally relieved that she had let the cat out of the bag and felt like a heavy weight was lifted from her shoulders.

After a while, the two boys finally recovered and tried to come up with an explanation.

"Why didn't you show the detective this?" Marcus asked Michelle.

"You do realise that if I gave this out and it turns out to be true then I'd be putting a target on my back. I didn't want to risk my life. Besides, I had to be sure of the facts before I brought up anything that would contradict me."

"She has a point," Jeff added. "Your life would have been in grave danger if that you-know-who found out that you knew he killed her." He avoided saying Stevens' name, somewhat afraid that saying his name would attract a bad omen.

"And anyway as you told me, the investigation has been called off."

"You guys don't realise? If we took this to the police they would be able to arrest Stevens and give him the punishment he deserves!" Marcus tried explaining to Jeff and Michelle, who were seemingly sharing a different opinion than him.

"I wouldn't be too sure about that," Michelle added. The thought of getting mixed up in all the death drama was one which was too horrifying for her.

Marcus stepped in front of Michelle so that they were facing each other directly. He then looked into her eyes and told her, "Listen to me Michelle. I believe that Sheila had a reason to send you that SOS. She maybe hoped that if she did not make out of it alive that there would be someone who would get justice for her. That someone is you, Michelle. It's not like I am not forcing you or anything. We all want justice for Sheila, and at the moment the justice is right there with you. Just think about it, but know that whatever decision you make I will be there for you."

Michelle scrutinised the situation at hand. Getting justice for her best friend would be the best send-off for her friend, in as much as it came with its fair share of risks. The past few days she had been facing more life choices than her whole life altogether and it was proving to be one hell of a job. She considered her options and after a moment of uncertainty, she was ready with her answer.

"This thing is honestly giving me a lot of stress. This is the second time I've waged war in my mind concerning Sheila's death. My brain's telling me to leave the dead to bury themselves, but my heart is telling me to get justice for my best friend. However, as dangerous as it is, I have decided that I will follow my heart."

Jeff smiled at Michelle and said, "I'm sure Sheila is grateful to have a friend like you, may her soul rest in eternal peace."

Michelle smiled back and nodded.

"So when are you planning to go to MPD?" Marcus asked Michelle, proud of her decision.

"I would like to go now, please. Will you accompany me? God knows I could use a little encouragement," Michelle requested.

"Sure. I said that I'll be there for you, and I keep my word," Marcus replied.

"What are we waiting for then? Let's go before the young lady changes her mind," Jeff said, preparing himself to leave.

They were just about to leave the garage when the sound of approaching cars interrupted their exit.

"Shit! We have to hide, we are on someone's property," Michelle panicked. She looked around and saw a shed beside a heap of car doors.

"There, under that shed," she pointed to it and they ran towards it. Luckily it was protected by a wall of rusted iron sheets. They hid under it. Luckily, the iron sheets had some holes in them and they were able to get a view of the clearing at the middle of the garage.

They then watched in silence as two cars made their way into the garage.