~24~

People are like stained - glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.
-Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

~~

"Her ribs are badly bruised it's a miracle they aren't broken. I gave her medication for the pain but it's better if she rests for a while." The doctor spoke softly to Sebastian. She had just finished examining me.

"Grazie (Thank you)." Sebastian responded.

The doctor turned to look at me one more time, her eyes filled with sadness and pity. She shook her head slowly before leaving the room.

Leaving me alone with Sebastian.

I couldn't bring myself to look at him.

How had I not seen this coming?

How could I have been so clueless?

Sebastian was the head of the Alfonsi family.

The man I had fallen in love with was il Demonio.

"I am sorry that you got hurt. That shouldn't have happened." Sebastian's quiet voice broke the silence of the room.

My eyes snapped to his. And the regret I saw in his eyes made my heart lurch with hope.

Even if he was the Don, he was still the same man I had fallen in love with.

He was the same man who had protected me and cared for me. He was the same man who had offered me his home when I didn't have a roof over my head, or money, or food.

"Why didn't you tell me who you were?" And although it wasn't intentional, my words came out a little accusatory.

His face went blank and for a moment he didn't respond.

"It didn't matter." His voice was indifferent.

My eyes narrowed. "Don't give me that crap. You intentionally kept it from me!"

"Like you kept your true identity from me," Sebastian said quietly.

My body tensed. My hands curled into fists.

"I didn't know, Sebastian. I found out when I overheard you, Lucian, and Lorenzo arguing that day. And I was going to tell you-" My voice cracked. "I wanted to tell you, Sebastian. You have to believe me. But when I went to tell you the truth, you told me that you wouldn't choose me and I panicked. I'm sorry you had to find out this way but you can't be mad at me when you were hiding who you were from me the entire time we've known each other!"

His expression remained blank but his eyes softened a little.

"There are only a few people who know my true identity and it is safer if it remains that way. Knowing that I was the head of the Alfonsi family would have made you a liability and a target. That is why I didn't tell you. But I never actually lied to you, you yourself assumed that Lorenzo was the Don, I just didn't correct you. If you had asked me flat out if I was il Demonio I would have said yes."

I recalled something he had said to me a while back when I asked him about the Don.

"Someone I pray you never cross paths with. Everyone calls him, il Demonio, the Devil. He is a monster, the worst kind."

I shuddered.

Sebastian isn't a monster.

I kept telling myself.