PROLOGUE

i've never dreamed of nobody like you.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

(Y/N) Dashwood woke from her slumber, her neck aching from sleeping sitting up for too long, her sisters — with the exception of young Margaret — and her mamma were awake. She was sat beside Elinor, the oldest among her sisters. (Y/N) sent her mamma a tired smile, who returned a smile of her own. Her mamma was nestled between Marianne, her older — only by twelve minutes — twin sister, and Margaret. "Sleep well?" Elinor asks, (Y/N) shook her head softly, rubbing her tired eyes.

"Is that the cottage?" Marianne sat up, the four of them peered out the window, eyeing the grey cottage they would soon call home, "Yes," Their mamma says, "It looks... nice." Elinor comments, peering around (Y/N) to get a look at the cottage. In comparison to Norland, Barton Cottage had the air of a damp shoe box. It sits low and bleak in the grey lonely countryside. (Y/N) felt like she would come to love this little cottage nonetheless. Margaret was shaken awake, she blinks bleary-eyed, asking their mamma sleepily if they were almost there.

As the exhausted Dashwoods alight, they converge with a ruddy-complexioned man in a redingote and a rotund, equally roseate lady who have fallen over each other in their haste to get out of their carriage. (Y/N) stifled a giggle behind her gloved hand, masking it for a cough.

"Sir John!" Their mamma called, trying to smile, a joyful Sir John clasps her mamma's hands and starts to help her up the path. (Y/N) followed behind her mamma and Sir John, observing the scenery, her sisters were behind her, who were very clearly fascinated by his bouncy companion.

"Dear ladies, dear ladies, upon my word, here you are, here you are, here you are!" Sir John exclaimed, "Sir John, your extraordinary kindness—" Began their mamma, "Oh, none of that, hush, please, none of that, but here is my dear mamma-in-law Mrs. Jennings." Sir John interrupted, waving his hand dismissively.

"Was the journey tolerable, you poor souls?" Mrs. Jennings questioned, smiling from ear-to-ear, "Why did you not come up to the Park first and take your ease? We saw you pass —  like many people who live rather lonely lives together."

Sir John and Mrs. Jennings talk incessantly, interrupting each other all the time and never listen. "--but I would not wait for you to come to us, I made John call for the carriage--" Mrs. Jennings said, "She would not wait, you know." Sir John says, "--as we get so little company." Mrs. Jennings finished.

They reach the front door and Betsy's smiling welcome. In the confusion of the milling people and Thomas carrying the lighter luggage, Marianne contrives to slip into the house alone. (Y/N) notices and followed behind her, going unnoticed by the rest.

Marianne and (Y/N) looked about the parlour, where a dismal fire is smoking. They start up the stairs, Marianne expressionless, (Y/N) looking around in wonder, taking in every detail. "But I feel as if I know you already--delightful creatures!" Exclaimed Mrs. Jennings from downstairs, "Delightful! And you know you are to dine at Barton Park every day." Sir John says. (Y/N) entered one of the rooms, with large windows by two twin beds, the walls were painted stark white, a small and empty bookshelf in between the beds, a large wardrobe was situated on the door. She went over to the window and observed the view.

Immediately she sets down her bag, claiming the room for her and Margaret. Marianne entered the room, humming. "I am going share this room with Margaret, Marianne." (Y/N) said as she turned to face Marianne, "Oh? But I'm your twin!" Marianne exclaimed, pouting dramatically. "Marianne, you have to understand, I love you, but you are too loud." She replied, smiling cheekily, Marianne rolled her eyes, "Oh alright, at least my books won't accidentally get paint on them." (Y/N) giggled, "You know I share the same passions as you, Marianne." Marianne shakes her head, and went off to explore.

(Y/N) was quite different from her sisters, she was rather more reserved and soft-spoken, she thought wasn't adept in the face music, (Y/N) was told by their governess couldn't sing a note, nor could she play the pianoforte as well as Marianne, she had a skill for the violin, but she didn't put too much effort in learning it fully, much to her mother's dismay, underneath the soft-spoken and dainty exterior, (Y/N) didn't mind getting hurt or dirty; in fact, the late Mr. Dashwood had indulged (Y/N)'s passion for knowledge, art, riding, dueling and, occasionally, archery. Everything else that men knew, she knew. She was quite the intellectual.

Subconsciously, she had always thought that between her and Marianne, (Y/N) was always second best. She was born that way, second to Marianne, always. Nevertheless, (Y/N) always got along with all her sisters, more so with Margaret. Marianne sighs theatrically, as she passes the room- breaking (Y/N)'s reverie, and turns back down the stairs, (Y/N) rushed to follow behind her.

"—fruit and game--" Mrs. Jennings says, "—and the carriage is at your beck and call--" Sir John adds, Marianne and (Y/N) joined the group, "--call-- and here are Miss Marianne and Miss (Y/N)!" Exclaimed Mrs. Jennings, smiling broadly, "Where did you disappear to?" Said Sir John, (Y/N) just smiled, "I declare you are the loveliest girls I ever set eyes on! Cannot you get them married, Mrs. Dashwood? You must not leave it too long!" Mrs. Jennings said, looking at their mamma pointedly, "But, alas, there are no smart young men hereabouts to woo them--" Started Sir John, "--not a beau for miles!" Mrs. Jennings says. The strain of exhibiting joy and gratitude is beginning to tell on their mamma who is sagging visibly.

"Come, Mother, let us leave them in peace." Said Sir John, tugging on his mother-in-law's arm, "But there is Colonel Brandon!" (Y/N) watches as Sir John starts practically dragging Mrs. Jennings down the path. "Excellent fellow! We served in the East India Regiment together." Sir John comment. "Just wait till he sees you! If we can persuade him out to meet you!" Mrs. Jennings giggled, "Reclusive individual. But you are fatigued. I can see that you are fatigued." Now Sir John was pushing his mother-in-law into the carriage, (Y/N) giggled, "Of course she is fatigued!" Mrs. Jennings rolls her eyes, "Come along, Mother, we really must leave them to themselves."

"You must get your maidservant to make you up some camphor-- it is the best tonic for the staggers!"

"Send Thomas to us for the carriage when you are ready!" Sir John calls back to them, and they take off, waving wildly. Margaret and (Y/N) head down the path to watch them and turned back to their slightly stunned family.

"I like them." Said the younger Dashwood, clinging onto her sister's arm, (Y/N) nodded in agreement, "I do too, what fascinating people."

"What generosity." Said their mamma, weakly, "Indeed. I am surprised they did not offer us their clothing." (Y/N) laughed at that.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

AUTHOR'S NOTE

heyoooo, new book yay. i've been tossing this idea around my head since 2019. first chapter soon, this is just a little tease ;) hope you like this one. you can vote and comment, i'd really like that. thank you for reading.