20- Waverly Hills pt. 2

The 5th floor of the building is covered in wall to wall open windows, we might as well be on the roof. It's freezing and I bundle up even more than I already was. We set up our sleeping bags in the center of one of the rooms, Ryan on one side , Shane in the middle, and me on the far side. It's almost 1 am already and usually I'm exhausted by this point of the investigation but I think a combination of left-over adrenaline from the body chute and the fact that I'm freezing are keeping me fairly alert.

I set up a static-cam to face us while we sleep and then climb into my sleeping bag. Ryan is on his phone texting Mari I assume, and Shane is pulling his beanie over his head and trying to stay warm.

"You're gonna get sick again," I laugh and he shakes his head.

"I refuse to let that happen," He jokes, I lay down and pull the blankets of my sleeping bag over me, I still feel frozen though.

"Alright Ryan, lights out!" Shane says, Ryan groans and puts his phone down next to him. He props the flashlight up in between him and Shane, refusing to go fully dark.

"Oh my God, did you hear that?" Ryan says, after a few moments of silence,

"No, what are you talkin' about?" Shane asks,

"Are you serious! You guys didn't hear that?"

"I didn't hear anything," I mumble.

"I heard a whisper,"

"No, you didn't hear a whisper, Shane sounds exasperated.

"I swear to God I heard a whisper," Ryan insists.

"You know, there's a lot of wind moving around right now.

"Nope, Nope." Ryan shakes his head.

"What did the whisper say?" I ask.

"I don't know." Ryan responds.

"You sure it wasn't just a car in the distance?" Shane offers, shifting in his sleeping bag to try to get comfortable.
"No, it sounded like someone saying something...awe man, did I just freak myself out again?" Ryan takes a deep breath, "You guys swear you didn't hear it?... It made my hair stand up."

Shane laughs, "Just go to sleep." He mumbles. Shockingly, Ryan actually quiets down and after a little more anxiety I think he actually does fall asleep. I can imagine being scared 24/7 is exhausting. Shane and I on the other hand are too focused on how fucking cold it is.

"I can't believe he's actually sleeping," Shane whispers,

"I know what the fuck... maybe he just died of hypothermia," I say and Shane laughs and then immediately quiets himself so as not to wake Ryan.

"Here," I hear Shane shuffling in his sleeping bag and then all of a sudden he's scooting closer next to me, "We will get sleep tonight," He says, pulling one of the blankets thats piled on top of his sleeping bag and sharing it with me. I shuffle in closer and almost immediately feel warmer beside Shane. "Better?" He asks. I nod, unsure of what to say... maybe I'm just overthinking things but for some reason, it feels like a strangely... intimate moment? I push the thought out of my head, Shane's a big fan of science and the science is more body heat= more warmth, that's all this is about.

Within a few minutes I actually do fall asleep, my head close to Shane's chest and his chin resting just above my forehead, so close I can feel him breathing. If we weren't on the roof of an abandoned building where an estimated 10's of thousands of people have died it might actually be a nice felling... you know what, fuck it. It's a nice feeling anyways.

Unfortunately that nice feeling is interrupted by an obnoxious ringing, I hear Ryan whispering and hear Mari's voice over the phone.

"Shane and Sophie are next to me, they're asleep... I think they're cuddling," he laughs quietly and Shane shifts in his sleeping bag. "I may have just woken Shane up but I don't really care... Literally, like six feet away from me a lady hung herself."

"Ryan? Why are you doing this to yourself?" Mari asks.

"I ask myself that a lot too, I don't understand why I do these things." He responds, Shane turns over in his sleeping bag to face Ryan,

"Shane I- how are you- I thought you were asleep?" Ryan says.

"I don't remember, I think I was asleep when you called Mari in the first place, 'cause I woke up and I heard a voice and I was like 'what the fuck is going on?" Shane says, sounding tired.

"You guys have been asleep for like 45 minutes," Ryan says, evidently Ryan was only asleep for like 10 minutes... he must've woken up right after Shane and I fell asleep.

"Oh nice!" Shane says,

"Is Sophie asleep?" Ryan asks. I shake my head.

"No." I groan and the two laugh. Shane turns back around to face me again as Ryan and Mari continue talking.

"Did you sleep at all?" Shane whispers, I nod,

"Yeah I'm actually kinda cozy," Shane laughs and I smile,

"Now if only we could get Ryan to shut up," I say,

"Hey!" Ryan says, "I feel like I've done pretty well tonight."

"You're right Ry, we did get a whole 45 minutes of sleep!" I joke and Shane laughs.

I end up falling asleep again after a while to the sound of Ryan and Mari's conversation.

...

The morning light floods through the windows and I yawn, shocked we actually slept through the night. It takes a moment for me to realize I'm dangerously close to Shane, like closer than when we fell asleep, he may as well be holding onto my. We must've gotten closer in our sleep for warmth... I scoot away from him and hope Ryan didn't notice... I wouldn't want him to feel awkward, even though it isn't awkward... it's science! Right? Ugh...

Once everyone is awake we pack up our stuff and text Devon and TJ to come pick us up. Once again Ryan gets a burst of confidence on the way out.

We climb into the car and Devon asks how the night went, Ryan starts going off about how terrible it was meanwhile Shane and I just laugh.

"I dunno it wasn't that bad," Shane says,

"Yeah not for those two!" Ryan says, nodding to Shane and I. For a second I worry he's gonna bring up the fact that Shane and I kinda sorta, maybe cuddled all night, "But we already know they're just a couple of fucking robots!" He finishes. Ok I need to chill, I decide to stop thinking about it. I'm sure it means nothing.

...

We're back at the airport within a couple hours and I'm totally exhausted. So much so that I end up falling asleep waiting for our flight to Luisianna.

Ryan's Insta

I wake up to TJ nudging me, our flight is boarding and I yawn and grab my stuff

I wake up to TJ nudging me, our flight is boarding and I yawn and grab my stuff. Following the rest of the group on board.

...