𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟓 - 𝐄𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫

I knew why Theo couldn't stick around for long in the morning, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to watch the sunrise with him by my side.

Maybe he was right about me needing a stronger anchor. Yet I couldn't think of anything else stronger than wanting to control it — surely that alone could be enough?

Only time will tell. Though hopefully, time would tell without anybody getting hurt.

The next day after I found control, I finally managed to show my mum. I was able to control it just as well as the day before.

"How did you learn to do that on your own?" She asked, instantly suspicious.

"I just... used a mantra that Uncle Rob taught me a few years ago." I shrugged, wondering why she couldn't just believe and accept — perhaps even celebrate ­— the fact that I had control.

"The Phoenix is a weapon as well as protection, Ember," my mum told me, "And you need to learn how to control both of them."

I raised an eyebrow; is she beginning to teach me?

She disappeared into the garden shed and returned with what looked like an archery target.

"Won't it just burn?" I questioned.

She threw a piece of clear plastic over the target. "This is fire-proof, so it should last fine." Then she walked over so she was standing behind me.

After a few minutes of hesitation, I asked over my shoulder, "What do you want me to do?"

"Use the Phoenix as a weapon," she stated as if it was blatantly obvious.

Rolling my eyes, I balled my hands into fists and then uncurled them — unveiling the fire like a warrior unveiling her sword.

How am I supposed to use it as a weapon? Do I wield the fire or does the fire wield me? Am I merely the sword to the fire's warrior?

Stepping a little closer to the target, I pressed one of my burning palms towards it. A flame shot towards it, falling just short of the target and setting a patch of grass alight.

"Good enough." My mum observed. "I just hope that you'll never have to use it as a weapon."

Hmm, about that...

"My friends want me to set fire to some building with the new Alpha in, hoping that she'll then leave Lake Oldoy and the hunters will go after her," I said all in one breath. "So, yeah. I'll have to use it as a weapon pretty soon."

"And why do you need to do this?" She frowned quizzically.

"Because they need someone who it can't be traced to, meaning I'm being made into their scapegoat, taking all of the blame." I huffed, kicking some grass beneath my feet. "They don't believe that I have control, except Theo."

My mum didn't say anything. Her silence spoke one simple message; she doesn't believe me.

"You don't believe I have control either, do you?" I whirled on her, disbelievingly.

"It takes more than a few attempts to have total control, Ember. It takes a hell of a lot more," she admitted, then muttered, "Maybe I should just send you off to Svalbard now."

"Seriously?" I asked incredulously, "We've talked about this a hundred times — I am not going."

"We'll talk about it a thousand times if that's what it takes to get you to go," she retorted bitterly. "But I'm pretty sure the only thing that will get you to go eventually is when — not if — when you hurt someone."