Chapter 2: A Picnic

The rain was pouring down all around them, but the huge maple's branches, though they were totally nude of leaves, seemed to protect them. Of course, Edie was pretty sure it wasn't the branches that were offering the protection—it was Leila's magic (though it had been Edie's umbrella that sheltered them between Gilkey and this tree).

"So what's the big surprise?" Edie said, leaning against the tree. Its bark was rough but still welcoming, and it seemed to invite her to rest.

"Just a moment," said Leila. She reached up into the tree, higher than Edie could see. Edie had never gotten a useful explanation as to why she could be taller when she was around her tree, but it was interesting to watch, at least.

Edie watched her arms come down, shortening, until the object at the end of them was finally in view. It was a large basket. She hurried to try to help—it looked heavy—but Leila got it down and settled it on the ground, between two roots. Then she opened a latch at the top and it opened to reveal a pile of food. "We're having a picnic."

Edie laughed, crouching down to look at the food. There was a bottle of something, a couple of baguettes, a small basket of strawberries (they looked surprisingly red and ripe for this time of year), a wedge of cheese, and what looked like a block of pure chocolate. She sat down cross-legged on the ground and looked over the food at Leila, still grinning. "Are you sure this is safe for me to eat?"

"Certainly," said Leila, frowning slightly and stopping with her hand in midair reaching for the food. "Oh, you are thinking of my sister's food? No, this is real food, you need not worry about it."

Edie reached across to take her hand. "I wasn't really worried." She let go to pick up a strawberry, turning it in what light reached them through the trees. It made her mouth water. "Where did it come from?"

"Ah, that's my secret." Leila pulled two glasses out from underneath the other things somewhere—tall, thin champagne flutes. She uncorked the bottle, letting out a hissing of air.

Edie shook her head. "Come on, Leila, you know I trust you but I don't want to eat mystery food. I mean, it's not genetically modified or something, is it?"

"Oh, no, of course not." She held the glasses carefully in one hand and poured with the other. "I will tell you if you promise not to go looking for it on your own."

"I won't do that," Edie said, wondering what she could possibly mean. "Is this real champagne?"

"No," Leila said, handing her one. "I don't like alcohol. I got everything from the market."

"What market?"

"The one that you are never going to go to. Anyway, it is too far away."

Edie sighed, leaning back with her fake champagne (whatever it was, it had bubbles in it) and too-bright strawberry. "Are you really sure it's safe? I mean, do you trust the people who sold it to you? It still sounds like faerie food to me."

"It was grown by faeries, but not created by magic, like my sister's food. Hers is rotting and poison underneath the glamour. This is real. Here." Leila leaned over the basket and took the strawberry carefully from Edie's hand. She tore off the small green leaves and stem, leaving nothing but a small, perfect red strawberry. Then she lifted it toward Edie's mouth.

Edie giggled a little and opened her mouth. Leila dropped the strawberry inside and then pinched Edie's lips gently closed. Finally, she bit down on the strawberry and opened her eyes wide in surprise. It really was just like a fresh spring strawberry—her dad had a strawberry patch in the yard, first planted when Edie was three, and she had always run out to pick one of the first ripe strawberries of the spring. This one reminded her of that first time he had taken her out to pick one, so sweet and almost bright.

She chewed it slowly, letting it slide over her tongue, until it was mush and had lost enough of its sweetness that she had to swallow it. Leila watched her the entire time, smiling. When the strawberry was gone, Edie said, "Wow. Okay, I know there had to be magic in that, but I don't care."

Leila laughed and popped a strawberry into her own mouth. "I knew you would like it. Yes, there is always some magic in the growing, but you do not mind magic, do you?"

"How could I? It lets me spend time out of the rain with you." Edie took a swallow of her drink. It was a little sweet and a little tangy—a perfect counterpoint to the strawberry. "Are the baguettes magical too?"

Leila just gestured at them. "Why don't you find out?"