Chapter 12: Poster Experiments

Friday, October 31

"So I guess Halloween's not such a big deal at Chatoyant College," Dawn said, leaning back in her chair. "I haven't heard about any parties or anything."

"Really?" said Naomi, surprised. "I didn't tell you about the art department party?" They were both back in their dorm room after classes. Naomi was laying on her bed painting on a large piece of posterboard. Dawn didn't know how she could do that without getting paint on her comforter.

Dawn searched her memory. "I don't think so. I mean, I remember you mentioning parties, but not one specifically for Halloween."

"Oh, well, I don't know if there's anything special about it. Except that we're all supposed to bring some candy." Naomi stuck her paintbrush behind her ear, frowning. Dawn cringed. There was definitely some paint in her hair now. "Actually, I haven't done that yet. I guess I better get to the grocery store before tonight."

Dawn shook her head. "It's going to be picked over. You had to wait until the day of Halloween to buy candy?"

"I would wait until tomorrow if I could." Naomi grinned.

"Well, yeah, then it's on sale."

"I have an idea!" She sat back on her knees. "We can get Corrie to drive us, so if the grocery store in West Ashburn is too picked over, we can go down the highway and check out the other strip malls and stuff."

Dawn shook her head. "That was your plan all along, wasn't it? Just to take advantage of Corrie?" But she was already getting up from her chair. Not only was she pretty sure Corrie would be happy to go along with it, she wanted to get some candy, too. It hadn't occurred to her before today.

Naomi jumped up, nearly upsetting her painting, and headed for the door. She was reaching for the handle when Dawn pointed out, "You still have a paintbrush over your ear."

"Jeez, really?" She reached up and felt the handle. "Thanks. Hang on..." Dawn walked to the door and opened it while Naomi went back to her desk and dunked the paintbrush in a cup of water. Dawn was pretty sure Naomi had been drinking out of that cup earlier... well, she would just have to make sure she didn't drink out of it again until it was washed.

They headed over, and Naomi rapped on the door. "Come in!" Corrie called, so they did.

Edie and Corrie were both standing on Corrie's bed. Edie was holding something in her hands and Corrie was holding a poster against the wall—her Labyrinth poster. There was another poster rolled up at the foot of the bed. Edie held something up and Corrie took it, then pressed it against the corner of the poster. Dawn realized it was tape. Then they both jumped down from the bed. Corrie grinned. "Hey guys, what's up?"

"What are you doing?" Dawn asked.

"An experiment," said Corrie.

"We were supposed to do this yesterday," said Edie.

"Oh come on, it's not my fault." Corrie sighed and shook her head. "And you were supposed to go out and get a poster."

"Okay, seriously guys, what are you talking about?" asked Naomi.

"We have a theory that whatever magic is affecting posters only does it if they're above your bed," Corrie said, gesturing to her newly-replaced poster. "So hopefully tonight I'll dream about David Bowie."

"Either that, or goblins stealing your little brother," said Dawn.

"Ah, I thought of that, but I don't have any siblings. So I think I'm good. Anyway, Edie was going to get a poster so she could hang one too..."

"But Corrie disappeared all night for some study group thing," finished Edie.

"Come on, biology is really tough, okay?"

Dawn couldn't help grinning. "But you can still go get one tonight."

"Yeah, but I want to get back before dark," said Corrie. "I mean... it's Halloween. I don't know what kind of stuff is happening, other than a couple of parties. And there's no way I'm going to either of the ones I've heard about that are happening in the woods."

"You should come to the art department party," said Naomi. "The only requirement for admission is a bag of candy."

Corrie pursed her lips. "That could be fun. Lots of candy. And we have to go out shopping anyway..."

Dawn laughed at the neatness of it. "Actually, we were coming over here so Naomi could demand your services driving her around to buy candy."

"I wasn't going to demand," Naomi protested. "But I do need some candy."

"Oh, let's go before it gets dark," Edie said. She sounded like she was complaining, but she was grinning. "We need posters and candy. It's Halloween. If we're not going to go trick-or-treating we should at least have a good time."