eleven

"okay, you know what, that's really rude

"okay, you know what, that's really rude." yeonjun began, glaring in her direction.

"oh really? sorry, i offended you when you're the one that always messes with me." she scoffed, crossing her arms.

"oh really?" yeonjun exclaimed, his hands instinctively going to his hips.

"yes, really! i haven't been able to get one class without you trying to distract me with pick up lines since 6th grade!" she complained, her right hand being pulled on top of her head as she held her hair tightly.

"you're serious right now? really? i tried making friends with the new girl--" his words were cut off with a mocking scoff of laughter.

"make friends? last time i checked throwing pick up lines and always trying to be around me even AFTER i told you to stop wasn't really considered 'making friends' now is it, yeonjun? or tell me, am i missing something here?" he was silent, realizing his mistake from their youth.

"it's been nine fucking years, heejin."

"yeah and those 'nine fucking years' were all spent sitting next to you only to hear more and more each year!" there was a break in her voice at the end, signifying her sudden shift of anger to sadness that could now be detected in her voice.

the sudden words slipping out made yeonjun's eyes soften, now remorseful of his actions he's portrayed towards heejin for the past few years of her life.

"look, i'm sorry--"

"don't start, yeonjun." she sighed, waving him off as she lost eye contact with him. "look, i've tried moving on. i thought maybe going to college with my four best friends would finally turn my life around. but then suddenly i turn to my side and you're there too. just like the last nine years of my fucking life."

she took another pause, this time taking in a deep breath before she continued.

"i'm really not trying to do this right now, yeonjun. these bracelets are as far as we're getting in the so-called relationship."

"heejin--" yeonjun tried to cut her off, only to stop when he heard his voice break.

"i'm really sorry yeonjun but i can't do this." she sighed, finally dropping her hand and turning around to walk back home.

yeonjun stayed put in his place, unsure of why he suddenly felt so sad.

"heejin..." he called out in a whispered tone, only for her name to get lost in the cold wind.

" he called out in a whispered tone, only for her name to get lost in the cold wind