01-P-erseverance

Run. The drumming beat of my heart echoes throughout my whole body, making myself stagger through the steady leaps my feet can take, it's as if my heart is pounding against my rib cage. My breaths were short and ragged, highly in a disorderly manner. My body was begging me to stop all these running, it's pushing me beyond my limits. But, the situation does not allow me to grant my body the rest it well deserved. My gaze averted back and forth front and behind occasionally. To freedom and leaving the comfort behind me forever. This is the leap of faith we have to take in order to bask in the freedom's light. A small price to pay, without knowing anything, without the ability to survive, without the certainty of what steps to take next. But then, a dispersing light appeared in front of me, dispersing slowly to form someone. A white mop of hair emerged along with a pair of blue eyes I have grown familiar with. He had the softest gaze and the warmest smile. Norman!

My eyes shot open and I felt my heart beat swiftly, in sync with my ragged breathing. I covered my face in pain trying to calm myself. Looking to my left and right, I could only see my siblings falling asleep comfortably on the mattress without a care in the world. I gathered my strength and sat up trying to erase all my fears and traumatic memories away. I felt tears forming at the apex of my eyes, as I remembered him in detail. Norman, I hope you're in a happier place, not having to worry about demons or other monstrosity this dreaded world has prepared for children like us. I miss you so so much. I took deep calming breaths and felt my form getting less tense by the ticking of the clock. My gaze unconsciously flickered to the calendar hanging on the wall, 4 days. Four days going to five went by since Emma, Ray and that Mister went on a quest to A08-63, Goldy Pond. I can tell that the kids, including Gilda and Don were anxiously waiting for their return, but I, too, am starting to think of the worst scenarios. Especially the fact that we could not trust that Mister completely yet. However, once the morning comes, I have to brush away everything and return to being the older sister the kids need. Just for a little while longer.

Early in the morning, Gilda woke me up so that we could prepare the food for breakfast. I chopped off several vegetables we planted a few days ago that are harvestable already, and Gilda decided to prepare the meat Emma caught a few days ago. 

"I'm worried about them." Gilda sighed trying to mask away her feelings. 

I stared at her trembling hands as she tried to cut the meats into pieces. I placed my hand on her shoulder attempting to comfort her. 

"I am pretty sure they are fine. Knowing Ray and Emma, I don't know who else is suited for this expedition. Besides, you've scared that Mister real good Gilda." I smiled trying to lighten up the mood. In which she smiled back in return, 

"You're right." She nodded and agreed. 

The day went on as all of the kids started to wake up and did their daily routines such as bathing, which we helped on, planting, recycling, helping us in doing the laundry and last but not least deciphering that book Ray told us to. It's something really, Emma, Ray and Norman's way of perceiving things. I'm at their age but I am somewhat nowhere near their league when it comes to cracking those codes along the way. However, I managed to survive until this point in life, when it comes to tests I could catch up to them by reading and studying myself off, but it's a different story when it comes to strategizing a plan or coming up with a plan in the nick of time. Although the apparent gap between those three and the rest were too apparent, each of us has a role of our own too. Some are good at caretaking, others are good at hunting, and the rest are good at inventing. None of us are a pale comparison to the other, and we plan to persevere until we can hone each of them to perfection. 

**Writer's corner: Hello everyone, this is the first part of the Saudade fanfiction!I'm sorry for Norman's absence so far. But just bear with it for a while he'll show up soon enough! :D I am aware that it is a very short passage, but I hope you enjoy them. I apologize for any mistakes I made throughout the journey, please notify me regarding any inconvenience. English is not my first language, so feel free to correct me anytime as well! See you on the next chapter! <3