11. The Plan

Assuming one of the boys told Lily what happened, she'd been trying to fix and figure out why I was so upset.

It wasn't anything Sirius did, but more what I wanted to avoid. My time, in this period of history, was limited. One day I will have to leave— leave them, leave the past, and go back to my own time where all of them are dead. The idea broke my heart. None of my new friends are alive, I am friends with ghosts and nothing I could do would help.

"Rory, talk to me," Lily said.

In the last few weeks, I have managed to push away the four Marauders, Lily, Marlene, and even Severus. I rather be alone for the next four years than get even closer to them, only to leave.

"Pyrites, what's wrong?" Severus would ask.

"My emotional stability or instability isn't going to affect the potency or quality of Veritaserum," I said in one of our potions lessons.

The library books didn't keep me company when Severus stopped coming. I spent most of my time crying into the pages of the books rather than reading them.

"You've got to eat more than just toast," Remus said at breakfast the other day.

"Chocolate isn't the only cure to feeling bad," I snapped.

I didn't need to look up to know he was shocked at my response. Again it didn't help my mood, only making me more iritable and upset. I knew I was hurting them by being short, but that way I wouldn't be hurt once I left. It was selfish, but it had to be that way.

Eventually, Professor McGonagall called me to stay behind during one of our Transfiguration lessons. Lily waved at me and left with Marlene to wherever they decided spend their break.

"Are you alright, Miss Pyrites?"

"Yes, Professor," I answered.

"I'm concerned with your recent behaviors," McGonagall said softly. I knew she wasn't one to be soft spoken or show any other sign of caring, on the outside, so her soft voice made me feel bad.

"I'm sorry, is it affecting my spellcasting?" I asked.

"No, but I believe it is affecting your friendships you've made in your year."

I frowned at her. I didn't realized my actions were making that much of a difference in the way I carried myself.

"I am requesting you go to Professor Dumbedore's office for a meeting, if you please," McGonagall finally said after I didn't respond. She handed me a folded parchment with the words Golden Peas on the top of it. "As your Head of House, I strongly suggest it."

With a small nod, I grabbed my bag and made my way to the large gargoyle that guarded the stairwell to the Headmaster's office.

"Password?" It said.

"Golden peas."

The gargoyle moved and revealed the spiral staircase. At the door, I knocked and opened it once Dumbledore responded. The office was just as I'd seen it almost four months ago. Dumbledore, again, sat at his desk, reading through more papers.

"Ah, Miss Pyrites," he smiled. "What can I do for you?"

"Professor McGonagall requested I see you," I said and handed him the parchment.

Sitting down in the chair in front of his desk, I waited for Dumbledore to finish reading the note. He sighed once he finished and looked up to me with sad eyes.

"You come from twenty years into the future," he said. "I can only imagine the things you know. And I know you are acting on the selfish idealization of trying to save your own sanity."