cHAPTER oNE

"The Sharmas are already here. How long will it take for you to get ready? Hurry Up." Her mother whispered loudly from the door. "Enough with the makeup now. You look beautiful already Ava." She walked inside where Ava sat in her designer ensemble in front of the huge mirror, applying copious amount of blusher on her pale cheeks. "Look at this gorgeous sequin work." She admired the delicate dupatta draped modestly around Ava. "Remind me to give Ritu a call. I have decided that the wedding dresses will also be from her collection. What do you say?"

Her mother was waiting for an answer, she realized. But what was she supposed to say? That she didn't give a hoot who designed what for her wedding? Her second wedding.

"Is Dani in bed yet?" Ava asked.

"Out like a light. I must say, that kid has boundless energy, but goes to bed like a clockwork. How you manage him all by yourself in a mystery to me." Her mother sighed, a hint of censure in her voice? As always, Ava chose to ignore her. Like she ignored so many tiny jabs coming her way. Because a part of her truly believed that she deserved those jabs.

She laid down the brush and inspected her handiwork. There, not bad for a twenty-four old who worked a hectic nine to seven job, with only one day off at weekends. Her wide almond shaped eyes looked even bigger with expertly lined with kohl, her lips lush with the nude lipstick. The cheeks looked more angular and the slightly snubbed nose looked a little bit sharper. Unbidden, a memory flashed in her mind.

"I think I fell in love with your nose before I fell in love with you. It is the cutest part of you. I could kiss it forever."

"Are you done yet?" The impatience in her mother's voice brought her back to present. "Let's go now."

She descended the stairs, taking care of the long and heavy train of her skirt. The jewelry was equally heavy. Her mother had insisted she wore the family jewels to give the best impression.

Mr. and Mrs. Sharma were already seated and engaged in small talk with her father. He looked better, Ava registered. This excitement was doing wonders for him. The dark pallor which had engulfed her father's sturdy frame since the last five years, were beginning to lift, and was all but gone. His eyes sparkled and a rare smile lit up his face.

I have to do this, no matter what it costs me. I have hurt my parents a lot, I owe it to them to make them happy. I must not get cold feet now.

She approached them and sat herself beside Siddhartha Sharma, her soon to be fiancée. He smiled at her, his gaze taking in the full effect of her gorgeous attire, and her delicate features enhanced by the makeup.

"You look beautiful." He stood up and helped her to sit beside him.

Such impeccable manners, Ava thought. I am so lucky. This time I have got to make it work, there can be no mistakes.

The conversation flowed till the guests and friends started arriving. It was to be a small gathering. Both the families had decided to keep the engagement celebration small. However, the wedding was to be a lavish affair.

Soon, the party was in full swing. Ava sat surrounded by her friends, mostly her work friends, and only a few from her college. She had had almost no contact with anyone from her college days, especially her best friend. She had no best friend now, she thought. Another thing I have had to give up.

Her father appeared beside her.

"Is it time?" she asked quietly.

His face had that pallor back, she noticed absently. He shook his head.

"Please come into my study, Ava."

Alarm bells started ringing in her head. What was the matter? She hurriedly followed her father.

Author's Note:

Welcome to the First Chapter of On This Side of Paradise!

Please leave your comments...