Chapter #20

Chapter 20 - Unedited

Zuri

It's amazing how my life has changed in four weeks.

If anyone had told me that today I'd be a witch, a fugitive and the most wanted soul in hell; I would have laughed at them.

However, that's what was happening, and I didn't know what to do to stop it. I mean, even if Uriel was to die, there is still Lucifer and who knows who else.

I was getting tired of it all, and it was only just the beginning.

Yesterday, I spent the rest of the day and night with Beatrice, like old times. We talked until morning in her bedroom while Gedeon and the rest of the guys just let us be.

When I woke up, however, my heart was heavy, and I had a bad feeling that I normally get when things are about to go south. My instincts were screaming for me to go to the nursing home and that is how I ended up there in wee hours of the morning.

"Hey oldie," I greeted my grandmother, walking inside her room. She was in her chair by the window, looking outside. She looked lost in thought. "Grams?"

Slowly, she turned her wheelchair to face me. Her face was tear streaked and her eyes were looking anywhere but at me.

"What's going on?" I closed the door and approached her. She was worrying me. In all the years I've lived, I have only seen her cry once.

She sniffled and cleared her throat. "I'm fine. It's nothing," she said, her voice shaky.

"What did I say about you keeping things from me." I scowled, plopping down on her bed.

She let out a small forced chuckle. "I'm just happy to see you. I thought I had lost you without saying goodbye." She relented.

She was still not telling me something, I could see it in the way her eyes were darting around the room.

"Are you sure that's just it?" I asked, concerned.

"Yes, I'm just so happy to see you," she beamed, looking at me this time. "Gedeon told me about the mole in the coven."

"Yeah, do you have any idea who it could be?" I hoped she would know.

"No, unfortunately not. This means you can't trust anyone," she said fiercely. "Promise me you will look after yourself, Zuri." She begged.

"Grams, seriously what is happening?" Her behavior alarmed me. She has never been like this before.

"Just promise me."

"I promise." I said, wildly concerned.

"How did you get here?" She finally asked, after a moment of silence.

"One of Gedeon's demons drove me here," I scrunch my nose at the whole thing. "Who would have thought I'd have demons driving me around? This is wild." It still blew my mind how all of this is true, and some days I feel like I'd wake and realize it was just a dream.

Grandma chuckled, shaking her head. "It sure is something else," her voice was still detached.

"You still don't want to be honest with me?" I asked once again, trying to see if she would budge. She probably thinks she's protecting me again, but we both know we are way past that.

"I told you there's nothing." She insisted. "Now tell me, have you popped the cherry yet?"

I stared at her dumbfounded, my mouth opening and closing, with no words coming out.