12. "ᴇᴠᴇʀʏᴛʜɪɴɢ's ғɪɴᴇ."

"Tooru?"

"Mm?"

"Is everything alright?"

Oikawa paused the game on his phone, and thought momentarily about his answer before replying.

"Everything's fine."

"Really?"

He resumed his game. "Yup," he said, popping the last letter. "Why?"

"You're my son, Tooru. Of course I'm going to worry about you," said Mr. Mori.

Oikawa glanced up at the man. That's definitely a lie, he thought. Maybe he should check Mrs. Mori's wrists later.

Then again, he rather drown than talk to the witch out of his freewill.

"Like I said, everything's fine. You don't have to worry about me, Mr. Mori."

"Right. And how's that friend of yours? The one you're bringing to the Gala this weekend?"

Oikawa let out a grunt as he died in his game. "I asked him, and he said he was busy," he lied. Sorry Iwa-chan. "But he's doing fine, I think."

"Really?" asked Mr. Mori. "That's too bad. Are you going to ask anyone else?"

"Hm. Probably not," he replied.

"Let me know if you change your mind," said Mr. Mori. "By the way, I actually ran into your friend. Iwaizumi Hajime is his name, correct?"

He snapped his head up. "You met him?"

Mr. Mori nodded. "He seems like a very kind person. He was working at a restaurant. Accidentally spilled coffee on me."

Oikawa choked on his saliva. He then finally noticed the large stain on the man's usually pristine suit. "He spilled coffee on you?!"

Suddenly, he was very interested in having a conversation with his adoptive father.

"Unfortunately yes," sighed the man. "I was exiting the stage and he appeared to be there at the bottom of the steps, holding a cup of coffee for me. The crowd ended up jostling him, and the drink flew all over me."

Oikawa held in his laughter. "What happened then?"

Mr. Mori sighed again, sitting down on the couch opposite of Oikawa. "I actually felt bad for the kid; the crowd turned on him, and my men had to escort him back to his workplace."

Poor you, Iwa-chan, he thought. "But how'd you know his name? And that he was my friend?"

"We ended up talking for a bit in the restaurant. I mentioned that he looked familiar and asked if you two were friends."

He raised his eyebrows. "He looked familiar to you?"

"Your mom mentioned that your friend came here when you were sick last week, so I ended up checking the security footage, and there he was. I never thought–"

Mr. Mori stopped talking when he noticed how tense Oikawa was.

The man froze, quickly trying to think back to what he did wrong, where it went wrong, and—

"Goodness, I'm sorry, Tooru. I know you're not comfortable with us anymore, and that you're touchy about titles but–"

"Stop talking," he gasped out. Please.

Mr. Mori sighed exasperatedly, rubbing his temple. "Does it bother you that much when I call Hana your mom?"

Oikawa looked up, staring his adoptive father straight in the eye. His heart was already thundering at the slight mention of the witch.