22. SPIRALING

SPIRALING

The building was older than Riley expected. As he walked into the lobby, a stale, mouldy smell filled his nostrils and his eyes took some time to adjust to the weak dim lights.

He started up the stairs, assuming that flat number eight would be a few stories up and cautiously steadied his feet on the chipped stone steps. As he made his way up the spiralling staircase, his eyes fixed on the scratched, faded teal wallpaper with geometrical patterns that reminded him of keyholes.

The smell became more intense as he reached the first floor. It wasn't a proper stench; it reminded him more of ancient books that had been treated unfairly.

Past flat number three and four he continued climbing, the rain echoing loud against the skylight up above his head.

He passed flat five and six and with a renewed confidence he fastened his pace up to the last floor. When he reached the top of the stairs, he paused for a moment as flat eight appeared right in front of him, a crooked infinite shape shining gold against a maroon door. Riley resumed walking, taking the two final steps to the last floor.

That's when someone called his name.

"Riley!" Urgency in the tone.

He turned around hastily but found himself staring at the emptiness of the building. Shaking his head to his auditory hallucinations, Riley walked towards the door of flat number eight.

As he lifted his arm to knock, sharp tugs to his shoulder made him jolt back and then awake.

"Riley, wake up," the tone was gentle now.

When he finally opened his eyes, Nicole was sitting next to him on the bed, barely illuminated by the light coming from the bathroom.

"What's wrong?" Riley mumbled.

"I couldn't sleep, I want to take the test," the girl whispered in the quiet room.

Riley checked the time on his phone: four thirty-six.

"OK, baby," he said rubbing his eyes to force some alertness in his brain.

Throwing the duvet to the side he stood up from the bed and followed Nicole to the en suite.

He leaned against the wall just outside the bathroom to give the girl some privacy and waited for her to take the test.

"The instructions say to wait up to three minutes," Nicole declared joining Riley in the bedroom.

Riley took the girl's hand and led her to the bed where they sat as they waited.

"It's going to be OK," he said taking her hand.

"What do you want to do if it's positive?" Nicole asked with a shaky voice.

Riley squeezed her cold fingers in his big palms and rubbed them to warm them.

"We'll talk about it if it's positive, OK?" he replied in an attempt to calm her down but his words seemed to have the opposite effect.

Nicole's eyes narrowed slightly as a pleading expression veiled them. That's when he realised the girl must have been thinking about it non-stop for days but never brought up the subject for his own good.

"Nicky, you're not alone. It's your body and your decision and I will support you no matter what you decide to do."

Nicole's eyes filled with tears and Riley immediately wondered what had he said to make the girl cry.

"I'm sorry," he tried, although he wasn't sure for what.

And that caused the girl to laugh as the tears still wet her cheeks. "No I'm sorry, these are tears of happiness."