chapter 30

(author's note: short update sorry )
The silence between them wasn't as awkward as she had been expecting. Instead, she managed to enjoy her time spent there. Just listening to the music playing while she sat besides Yeji.

Occasionally, she would sneak a glance at the girl sitting next to her, observing as she looked much calmer than she had earlier. Most of the time, however, she avoided looking. Knowing how that bothered Yeji, she didn't want to add onto whatever was upsetting her.

Strangely, the snacks seemed to have helped in calming Yeji down. The thought almost caused her to chuckle and she found herself smiling instead. It was a weirdly likable fact about Yeji. Her childlike obsession with snacks and all things sweet. It almost made her forget how her whole persona was the complete opposite.

Her eyes had been closed for a while now. Ryujin wasn't exactly sure how long it had been but the last time she had looked at the other had been quite a few songs ago. Maybe that's why she was so shocked by what she saw when she finally opened her eyes again.

Yeji wasn't eating and she wasn't simply taking in the view or enjoying the sun hitting them through the car window. Instead, she had taken out her sketchbook and seemed focused on replicating what she saw.

Ryujin had seen many people draw before, herself included, but something about a focused Yeji trying her best to draw their view made her feel some type of way. Maybe it was the softness of it all. Maybe she had a thing for artists.

Or maybe it was the intense and rather intimidating look on Yeji's face while she continued to draw the city and trees before them. A view that looked just as warm as she felt.

"You're really good." she found herself saying, not giving it much thought.

Her sudden words must have surprised Yeji because she flinched, before hesitantly glancing her way. Ryujin wasn't sure but it almost looked like she was debating on what to say or do in response to the compliment.

In all honesty, she didn't have to say or do anything. It was simply the truth and Ryujin thought she should be reminded of it.

Yeji settled on a nod, her lips pressed against each other as if the compliment bothered her. Glancing down at her drawing, she went right back to staring at the view a second later, without saying a word.

"You know," Ryujin sighed, placing her arm on the door besides her and resting her chin on it as she looked through the window, "you remind me of this view." she hesitated to continue her train of thought. Truth be told, she hadn't really think it through before starting to speak. "It's beautiful but it's tough. We can see so much of the city, the old and new buildings, the traffic and the chaos. But then there's this, the trees, the flowers and of course, the sunshine."

She took a deep breath before continuing to speak but suddenly Yeji interrupted her.

"Are you saying i'm like ugly buildings and vegetation?"

"No." she quickly objected, shaking her head before furrowing her eyebrows. "Well, yes, actually."

Ryujin finally looked back at Yeji who was already staring at her in what looked to be confusion and offense.

"You're rough, like the city. Busy, harsh and just a little too cold at times. But I don't think that's all you are." Her tone almost sounded accusatory, as if Yeji had done something wrong and Ryujin was calling her out on it.

The older girl was only staring, looking unsure of what to say as her mouth opened before she closed it again. Maybe at a loss for words from how stupid and random it all sounded.

She felt the tiniest bit embarrassed by her words as the other failed to say anything, causing her to chuckle before shaking her head and looking away again. "Forget it. It's stupid."

There was a moment of silence, one filled with much embarrassment and awkwardness for Ryujin. And one that was broken by Yeji's voice.

"You're too stubborn."

Ryujin didn't bother arguing against that statement. They both knew she was right about that.

"So you've said."

Yeji sighed, causing Ryujin to smile slightly.

"What if that's all you'll get?"

What?

The sudden question caught her off guard, making her look at the other who was staring off. She almost looked to be deep in thought and it made her curious about what was on her mind.

"What do you mean?"

"What if there's nothing more to it? Maybe the city is all there is to it."

"Maybe it isn't." She countered without hesitation.

"I'm telling you it is."

Ryujin clicked her tongue before shaking her head. "I don't believe that."

With that, Yeji turned her head and finally met her gaze. Her expression as neutral as ever. Of course, she wouldn't make it easy for Ryujin to understand how she felt.

"Are you calling me a liar?"

That sounded like a trap. Say no and she's agreeing with Yeji being cold hearted. Say yes and she's calling her a liar.

Ryujin shrugged instead, setting the drivers' seat upright again and turning on the car.

Yeji didn't say anything else, simply following her movement with an expression that did not look all too friendly. But Ryujin wasn't bothered. Not when she noticed how the other had spoken to her, not when she realized her plan to relax Yeji had worked and not even Yeji's sketchbook got blown over by the wind and the pages turned to reveal a drawing of Ryujin laying on the car seat.

Maybe Yeji would call her stubborn or foolish for having hope but as she drove away from that hill, Ryujin couldn't help but smile to herself.

Today had been a good day.