𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧: 𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐬𝐬

You were just releasing (O/n) in the courtyard on a Sunday morning, a letter to your parents in his beak. You usually send them an update on your school life every week, knowing that your mother would grow worried if you didn't.

As you watch him take flight, something ticklish brushes against your ankles. You jump before looking down, sighing in relief when it was just a tabby cat running past you. Not a second did it appear, another orange-haired feline runs after it. A siamese cat lounging on a stone bench nearby tilts its head at the two, looking as if it wanted to join.

It never occurred to you just how many cats there were in Hogwarts, and that not all of the students preferred owls as standard pets. Neville was the only one you saw with a pet toad. You never understood its low popularity among the student body. Toads were adorable, in your opinion.

You wonder how Ron is looking after Scabbers at the moment. Scabbers was old and unfit for scurrying out of paws' reach, which makes him an easy target. As much as you disliked rodents, you hope your friend's pet was doing alright.

When you were about to walk away, another sensation slaps against your ankles. It was cold and slimy, and it took all of your willpower not to flinch and step on the familiar amphibian as soon as you cast your gaze downwards.

"Trevor?" You said, barely surprised at the toad hopping around without his owner. He had the tendency to escape Neville's grasp ever so often. You've found Trevor countless of times that Neville depended on you finding him every time he ran away. You'd think he would learn to avoid you by now.

"You silly creature," you said, gently scooping him up. "I'm starting to think you like me more than Neville."

Trevor croaks in response.

"Your owner can't be that bad. He's really sweet, you know?"

When he croaks again, you giggle. It was as if he understood you.

"You better tone down with that sass of yours. I will not tolerate Neville slander!"

This not so one-sided conversation continues on your journey to the hospital wing. The doors were already wide open, and you can see Neville lying on one of the beds. He got into another incident yesterday at Potions, resulting in red boils sprouting all over his body. The boils were still present on his face and arms, but they weren't the same pulsating red from before.

Seamus Finnigan and Dean Thomas were with him, playing Wizard Chess at the foot of his bed. Neville was just watching them until he saw you carrying Trevor. His once miserable face lights up as he calls your name.

"You found Trevor!" He smiles. "He was gone when I woke up this morning."

You sat on the stool beside him. "Here," you said, placing a now squirming Trevor in his hands. "Maybe you should put him on a leash. He can't go that far if you do."

"You're saying that as if some people sell leashes for toads," said Dean, looking up from his game of Wizard Chess to grin at you.

"Who knows? Maybe I'll be the first ever witch to invent toad leashes."

"Does it come with a tiny stroller?"

"Oh, definitely."

You and Dean sniggered. Neville, who was oblivious to the joke, encouraged you to actually start making things for pet toads. Seamus just stared at the chess set with interest, not once acknowledging your presence.