The vines that bind us - chapter 4

She was now back in Gotham and it was time to start acting like it.

The break came sooner than expected. Mari might have actually missed it if not for the text from Chloe that they are on their way. Mr. Drake locked the doors to his office from the inside to made sure nobody interrupted him unless Batman started skateboarding in the lobby (his words). She really didn't know what to think about the young CEO. So far their interactions were limited to the brief moment of panic before meeting Luthor, followed by this brief moment when he locked the doors.

When she arrived in the cafeteria, Chloe was already waiting for her with Ethel. They took over a table in the corner and already littered it with various documents and folders.

"Um... Hi?" Mari greeted them.

"Oh, Mari-bear!" Chloe grabbed the girl by the wrist and dragged her to the table. When she was seated, several papers were put in front of her.

"So! Ethel and I read through the contract and we have good and bad news? Which first?"

"Let's get the bad out of the way." Mari nodded.

"You're stuck in that job for half a year."

"What!?"

"Don't worry." Ethel palaced her. "It's not as bad as it looks. The whole deal was that you could be hired at any point of your internship for a period of six months, after which there would be a revision of your contract to either terminate it or make it more permanent."

"Who does that kind of thing?" The girl shouted a bit louder than necessary, but nobody paid them any mind. Alya and Lila were clearly visible at the other side of the cafeteria with a large crowd around them.

"It's practically never used. I mean now you have all the benefits of being Wayne Enterprises' employee. Plus you will actually have a salary. And Sarah's salary was nothing to scoff at."

"But... What about school!? I know we were allowed to leave for two months, which by itself is crazy if you ask me..."

"Given that our headmaster is an idiot that bends under whoever throws money at him and our teacher should never be allowed to be in the same room as any child..." Chloe muttered in French.

"Yeah. I get your point. But I can't just leave school for six months!"

"Puh-lease!" Chloe waved her hand dismissively. "We both know you could've graduated in the middle of last year if that Chienne and Connard allowed you. And you would have the perfect scores. Hey! I'm sure you can sit SATs in Gotham while you work here."

"And my commissions?" She looked at the blonde. "Marigold Désign et Création is only starting to get some popularity. I can't just close the store! Oh no! What about my Flower Shop in Paris? The girl I hired was supposed to work there only for like... three months best! I can't just suddenly... Oh no! You know Sang hates being away from me! And what if Bleue outgrows her pot? And don't get me started on Rouge! He is...'

Mari suddenly felt two hands on her shoulders. "Goldie! You're spiraling again." Chloe stared in her eyes. "And your eyes are showing."

That finally calmed Mari. She usually tried to suppress her natural look in favor of how she used to appear. Her iridescent green eyes were kept blue and dark-blue hair muted to the point it seemed black. Plus her skin was not green unless she was using her powers. She was not sure where that skill came from and she was ninety percent certain her mother couldn't just mute her green skin and fiery red hair. Still, she was glad that she did not have to look like an Akuma 24/7.