Chapter-23

I twisted and turned in my bed to find Bruno for using him as a side pillow. Where was that furball? It took me quite a while to realize that he wasn't sleeping with me that day. I rose up while rubbing my eyes and glimpsed at the floor to discover Bruno sound asleep on the mattress. Kelvin and Jonas weren't there.

I ambled out of the room to check if they were in the house. I found both of them in the living space; Jonas was examining the circuit board, probably trying to fix the light issue while Kelvin was tying his shoelace.

How about starting the day with some fun?

"Taki Taki Rumba!" I muttered in a deliberate curious tone while passing by Kelvin.

I had to keep one hand over my mouth to prevent an outburst of laughter seeing his reaction.

"Miss Amyra, if you dare to utter that one more time, then I swear I'm going to kick you out of my house," he tried to say it in a serious tone, giving me a frown.

"Fixed it!" Jonas exclaimed at the right time, saving me.

He closed the circuit board and straightened his collar with a proud look.

"Proud of you. Now fetch our breakfast box from Mrs. Arabella's house while I start the car," Kelvin said.

"Bye bye Amy," Jonas smiled before leaving.

Kelvin left without a word. Nothing extraordinary.

The day was mundane, except the part when Aunt Nora and Sierra called

"Oh and Amy, I forgot to tell you something," Aunt Nora blurted just the moment when I was about to disconnect the call.

"I asked Mr. Xaviers about you, and he gave quite a polite reply. I'm relieved that he's over his rude attitude now."

"How did you ask him?" I inquired in confusion.

"He came here today. He was having a conversation with Nick in the study room for quite a while."

Kelvin went to Valdez Mansion?

And he was talking with Uncle Nick...

But why?

"Did you see him there before?" I asked.

"Yea, he came to talk with Joseph a week before. Didn't see him after that, not sure if he came though."

That must be on the day when Jonas and I had encountered him during our secret mission to the Valdez Mansion.

Something was up with him. I had to find out.

I didn't let Aunt Nora realize that I was suspicious of something; well, she was already ignorant of the treachery her husband was planning against the family.

Or was she? Well, Aunt Nora would be the last person on Earth I would ever doubt.

It was quite a long call; Kelvin and Jonas were probably back by now. I marched out of my room to find Kelvin, determined to get my answers from him today.