Chapter 38

It's been a couple of hours since my Dad woke up and it's already getting dark outside. I am currently in the cafeteria getting some food for my Dad, as he specifically told me to get, leaving him and Dimitri alone in the room together. That can't go well, can it?

I pick up some random food on a tray for my Dad and something to drink. I hope he will be alright with spending the night alone here at the hospital. Dimitri and I are apparently not allowed to stay the night, so we're going back to the house in an hour or so, and spending the night there.

I pay for the food and walk back towards my Dad's room. Just as I'm about to walk in, I hear my Dad saying something to Dimitri. My curiosity gets the best of me and I lean into the open door to get a better sound but making sure that they can't see me. I just hope nobody catches me, 'cause that would be embarrassing.

"Thank you for being here for her," my Dad tells Dimitri.

"I'll do anything for her," Dimitri answers my Dad honestly.

"I know," my Dad says.

I don't get to hear anymore, because I can hear the footsteps of a nurse coming from behind me.

I act like I haven't heard a thing and walk into the room.

"Here you go Dad," I tell him and hand him his food.

"Thanks, sweetie."

*****

Dimitri and I have just arrived at my home and to say the least, we're exhausted. We haven't had a chance to get a good night's sleep since the long drive here. We spent a couple of hours more with my Dad after I got him dinner. Dimitri and I still haven't eaten, so I'm thinking of just mixing some mac'n'cheese together. It won't take too long and afterward, we can go to sleep, finally.

"Is mac'n'cheese okay with you?" I ask Dimitri.

"Sure," he tells me and plops down in one of the kitchen chairs. There are some heavy bags under his eyes, and I'm sure I look just the same.

I find the ingredients and start mixing.

"Do you need any help with anything?" He asks me after a couple of minutes.

"No, it's fine. It'll be done in a minute," I tell him.

As soon as it's done, I shovel it into two bowls and hand one to Dimitri. We don't talk as we swallow the food, we just sit. It doesn't take long for us to finish eating, and I contemplate washing up now or tomorrow morning.

"I'm gonna wash the dishes tomorrow morning, alright. Now, I'm gonna take a quick shower and head to bed. Do you want to take one also, or just go to bed?" I ask Dimitri.

"I will wait for you to finish showering, and then I will take one, if you do not mind, that is."

"Of course not. I'll be right back," I tell Dimitri and grab a random t-shirt and some panties. It's not like Dimitri hasn't seen my body before, and I'm too tired to sleep with a bra on tonight.

As promised, it only takes me 17 minutes to shower and wash my hair. I think that's a new record or something. I put the two items on and wrap my hair up with my towel. When I walk out in the kitchen, Dimitri is sitting at the same spot, the only difference is the dirty dishes have vanished.

"You didn't have to," I tell him.

"It was no problem. Now, I am going to take a shower. Where will I be sleeping tonight, by the way?" Dimitri asks me.

"Uhhh, that's a good question. I don't know... where do you want to sleep? There's the couch, my Dad's bed, or in my bed. You decide," I tell him honestly. I haven't really thought about the sleeping schedule out.

"Alright," is all he says and walks into the bathroom to take a shower.

I walk into my room, making myself comfortable in my bed ready to sleep. I can't though. The thought of where Dimitri's gonna sleep, stresses me out, so I decide to just scroll through Instagram until he's done showering. That way, I can know what he decides to do.

Not long after, I can hear the water stop running and the bathroom door opening. In through my door comes Dimitri walking, but he stops right after the doorway.

"I just wanted to say goodnight. I am gonna sleep on the couch tonight, so... Goodnight," he tells me much to my disappointment. I don't know what I was expecting, but I can tell that it wasn't that.

"Oh, okay. Goodnight then."

Dimitri disappears and I shut my phone off, planning to get some sleep.

*****

It's been 35 minutes and I can't sleep. I don't feel any comfort in this bed like I usually do. My body is tossing and turning and it can't find peace. The same thing goes for my mind. None of them can get some peace, which makes me restless meaning I don't get any sleep.

As the last option for me to get some sleep, I walk silently out of my room and into the living room. Dimitri is laying on the hard couch, which can't be comfortable. I can't see his face so I don't know if he's asleep. I walk further into the room, but the wooden floor decides to make a big creaking noise. This makes Dimitri twist around to look at me. Guess he wasn't sleeping.

"Why are you not sleeping?" He asks me.

I don't answer his question, instead, I say, "Come to bed, Dimitri."

Dimitri doesn't hesitate as he jumps up from the couch and walks into my room. I walk in not long after, only to find him already laying in my bed, his arms spread out wide indicating for me to come. And just that, I do. I skip over to the bed and slither under the bed cover, and into the warmth of Dimitri. I sigh out loud in satisfaction and not long after, both Dimitri and I are fast asleep. Finally.