8. I Have an Idea!

The sound of rage fills the air from the engines as the race everyone's been waiting for is about to begin

The sound of rage fills the air from the engines as the race everyone's been waiting for is about to begin. A whole new energy electrifies the crowd now that Adonis is racing. Apparently he hasn't raced since he'd been shot in the face and before that he was the king of the track. No one has beaten his record either.

The black night is thick with fumes and the smell of burning rubber. Exhaust smoke billows all around the track and appears like mist hovering over the earth as the lights above give it an iridescent glow. Tension coils around me and I'm like a rubber band about to snap as the guys do what I learn is a burnout, which helps improve their traction.

I'm fuming.

Haha get it.

But seriously I'm livid.

I don't need macho men racing for me. It's like I'm some prize to be won, when in reality neither of these men would want to win this prize. Not when they learn how deeply psychotic I am, which kind of makes it humorous.

The engines roar as the cars move from being pre-staged to staged and everyone waits impatiently on the edge of their seats. I suck in a quick breath and the lights drop. Cheers roar as the tires burn the asphalt causing more smoke to erupt in the air. There's no way I can tell who's in lead as all the guys yell around me while the girls screech. My ears feel like they're going to be clogged with blood if these girls don't shut up.

It's so quick and the race ends in the snap of a finger with Adonis as the victor claiming not only the race but also the quickest speed of the night. When Adonis gets out he doesn't shake Dallas's hand. Only glares at him with so much hatred I can feel it from where I'm lying on the grass.

He does nothing to showcase his joy in his victory. No fist pump or crazy dancing like Ducky did. His brooding is probably the sexiest thing I've ever seen.

Nope never mind. It is.

I'm angry with him but at this point I can't deny my attraction to him. Great. Getting up, I dust myself off as people continue to cheer while some start packing up to leave. Ducky comes over to me and drapes his arm around my shoulder.

"I should be mad he beat my time, but it was good to see him race again. You know some pros tried to sign him? The moron turned it down."

"Why?" I ask.

"He didn't think it would be safe without half his vision," Ducky states somberly.

I nod in understanding.

"We're grateful he didn't though. He's the glue that holds the Salvation together." Ducky starts as he guides me to some unknown destination.

"I'm sorry isn't Archie?" I question as I crinkle my brow.

Ducky snorts. "Archie is the brains, Adonis is the heart. He finds the new recruits, he manages this and the mechanic shop, and he helps us guys when we're struggling. He's the most reliable guy here. Yeah, he's a loose cannon at times and can be reckless, but overall, he's got himself together more than most. At least that's what he shows us. Sometimes we wonder if he's taking care of himself because he's constantly staying busy and helping our brothers out. The guy's my best friend but even I don't know everything about him. A lot of his past is a mystery."