twenty-two

Cora opened her eyes, blinking a few times to get used to the blade of light coming in through the window. She watched the speckles of dust fly in the air in front of her, frowning when she realised the spot behind her was cold and empty. Had Harry come to sleep at all?

She sat up, and it was only in that moment that she realised with a jolt that Harry was standing in front of her, looking at her attentively. He was leaning against the wooden wall, making her suppose he'd been there for quite a while, and didn't glance away when she gave him a confused stare.

"Get up and get dressed." He turned and left with no explanation, and Cora's head was starting to hurt, now. She couldn't keep track of his ever-changing moods.

Was he not going to say a word about what had happened? Were they still playing that game?

Cora shook her head and stood up, changing into her daily clothes before following him out. She flinched at the storm of activity around her. She could've never got used to being at the Fair while it was in full swing—it was busy and chaotic, loud and bright. It made her feel lost, because she was the only one that had no task, nothing to do. She wasn't needed, and probably wasn't wanted either. It was their Fair—not hers. She doubted it would ever feel like home to her.

She saw Harry walk away and rushed to follow him, struggling to stay behind him because of the thick crowd, that parted for him and him only. He was wearing his usual midnight blue coat, the little golden decoration around the hems shining in the sunlight, making it easier to keep her eyes on him.

He stopped at the edge of the woods, turning around and frowning when he discovered she was still trying to make her way through everyone else. It took her almost an entire minute to get to him, and when she did, he slipped something into her hand.

"I have a job for you."

Cora's fingers closed around the sharp edges of a folded paper sheet. "What kind of job?"

"There's a market in the main square of Caloir today," Harry explained. "I want you to go there and find someone for me. He'll be waiting for you in the west corner. I want you to take what he gives you, and then give him this letter. Listen to me, Cora."

She looked into his greenwood-green eyes. Her heart skipped a beat and her cheeks went up in flames. So foolish, she thought.

"You're to bring what he gives you back to me, and you're not to read its contents. Can I trust you won't, Cora?"

She nodded, and he continued.

"If you don't see him, come back to me immediately, without catching anyone's attention."

"How am I supposed to spot this person? Is he wearing something—"

"If he's there, you won't have any trouble knowing exactly who I'm talking about."

Cora frowned. That had to be one of the least reassuring things she'd ever heard. She shook her head and lifted the paper sheet he'd given her. "What's in this letter?"

Harry let out a faint sigh. "You know, the longer you work for me the more you'll realise it's better if you don't ask questions."

"Why?"

"Because you wouldn't like the answer." He gave her a tight little smile when she glared at him, and then made to leave. He stopped in his tracks and turned around. "Oh, I almost forgot." He threw something to her. "Get yourself something to eat at the market."

Cora caught the mysterious object; it was a coin—twenty daers. "Thanks."

"By the way, I'm not one to make threats, but if you read any of the letters I will know, and then we'll both be having a bad day."