09

Jacqueline

I was pretty pleased that during our study session a few days ago that I'd managed to completely forget about my breakdown. I have a bit of a problem of letting things eat away at me and I can't seem to let the moments wash away, but I was working on it. Ponyboy didn't seem to care, or maybe he chose not to bring it up. Either way I was trying to settle myself into thinking of the night that happened only a week ago wash away into a distant memory. Dustin and I hadn't talked much since that night honestly. We'd have short conversations at lunch and when we walked home together, but that was the most. At least he didn't have some sort of newfound hatred for me or something, he just seemed quieter. And I can live with quiet. I thought about my relationships with people while Ponyboy and I studied for Mr.Gribbons exam in the school library. I was supposed to be rereading chapter 4, but I was up in my thoughts. As per usual. I thought about the news story, I'd been doing a lot of that lately. I wondered if him and his brothers would ever get split up, hopefully not. I wondered who had it worse off, Ponyboy or I. I think it'd be him to be utterly honest. He's an orphan who lives with his older brother on the poor side of town, sounds like the start of either a superhero or a mastermind villain story. I guess he chose hero, saving kids is pretty heroic in my book. I flipped the page of the book, even if I wasn't reading I could at least make it look like I was, right?

Ponyboy

I looked up from my 'Global Studies' textbook and saw Jacqueline looking down at her own , I could tell she wasn't reading a word on the page. Her eyes dart back and forth when she's reading, like she's watching an intense tennis game or something, but now she was looking down at a certain spot and she would flicker her gaze to another when she saw it as adequate. She also ties her hair up when she's reading, probably gets in her face, but her hair laid down. The library was practically empty, only one of Jacqueline's friends, the one I saw at the diner with her and the little old lady we called our librarian. I probably looked like a stalker staring at her while she pretended to read, so I looked back down at my own book. I wondered what could be up in her pretty head, probably something I'd never understand if she explained it a million times. 

Dustin

I wandered around the library aimlessly, I was supposed to be looking for a book for Susan, she was sitting outside and was too lazy to get it herself, so the task was put on me. I grazed the shelves, I planned on telling her they didn't have the book. I forgot what the name was and I was too stubborn to ask again, so I just walked around to make it look like I was actually searching. I was in the middle of the 'Romance' aisle that was in front of the tables where kids study when I saw some greaser and Jacqueline sitting at the same table. He looked familiar, he was the 'Juvenile Delinquent Turned Hero' the newspaper raved about. No wonder Susan was convinced Jacqueline liked him. She was always into the golden boy kind of thing. She had a massive crush on Susan's older brother when we were in the 7th grade, he was a star football player. Being the talk of the town for a couple months sounds pretty golden to me. I sighed quietly leaving the library, I needed to get over myself. She wasn't interested and she made that part pretty clear. Saying all of that reciprocate feelings crap. Well, it wasn't crap at least she was telling the truth. The truth is better than a lie, but I guess I was a hypocrite as I left the library purposefully empty handed.

"Got my book?" Susan asked, fiddling with her backpack straps. I shook my head.

"Nah it wasn't in there." I fabricated, it might not have been in there, I guess we'll never know. She rolled her eyes nodding.

"Damn it, whatever you wanna go home?"

"Yeah let's go."

authors note:

sorry that this one is so short :( it's to help the future of the book