12.

The night air was a little chilly and wind softly blew my hair about as I walked home. My phone buzzed from the pocket of my new pants and checking it, I saw it was a text message.

I decisively placed the phone back in my pocket. It wasn't advisable texting and walking down these streets at night. After entering my apartment and making sure the door was properly locked, I fell back into the well worn out couch. My phone buzzed again and I brought it out to finally open the texts.

From: Debbie Maguire
I sent your number to Demi! We all have to meet and have lunch soonest!x

From: Demilade Adegboyega
Girl!! Where have you been??? How have you been?! We need to meet up asap! When are you free? I've missed you!!!

I stared at my phone for a while as I remembered my friends from college. Demi had been my roommate till after my second year when I decided to move in with William. Moving back to New York at the beginning of the year, I knew the chances of running into old friends were high. But I'd purposely avoided places that were possible meeting spots. I didn't want them to see the wreck and failure my life had sadly become. But hiding could only be for so long.

My phone buzzed again.

From: Debbie Maguire
How does Friday or Saturday evening sound?

To: Debbie Maguire
I have a thing Saturday evening but Friday sounds good

Seeing as William and Heather would be at the gala, I could probably leave work earlier on Friday.

To: Demilade Adegboyega
Here and there and yes we do need to meet up! Maybe Friday evening? I already texted Debbie. How have you been too? I've missed you too demi :)

I dropped my phone beside me on the couch and almost immediately went down memory lane.

8 years ago...

"I love the material of your two piece, your Ankara." I complimented Demi, testing the new word I learnt from her a few days ago. The crop cap sleeve top and the short flare skirt suited and flattered her very well.

"Ankara yes and thank you," she laughed, "I'll tell my tailor you love it. Are you ready?"

I nodded and we left the room. We were going to Washington Square park for a party people on campus had been buzzing about all week. Leaving the dorm, I hoped my denim shorts and long sleeved black top that read, 'I Like Candy' would suffice for whatever weather the night brought on. Our hall wasn't too far away from the park and Demi and I reached there in little time.

"Let me finally introduce you to my friends," Demi said as we walked through the mob of people in cliques and clusters standing around. Music was playing and I could see a few people already moving to the beat.

"I'd be alone otherwise."

"Look at you complaining now, besides aren't you going to see your boyfriend?" She laughed.

"He's not my boyfriend," I blushed and she smirked. I quickly looked through and around the moving bodies for said boyfriend but came up short. I'd been tied up with school work the last few days and hadn't seen him again since the coffee shop meet but we'd been texting and he said he'd be here tonight. That may or may not have been the reason I was extra excited for the party tonight.