54

MILLIES POV

Well, there you are," said Harry quietly. "Snape's already got past Fluffy."

Seeing the door open somehow seemed to impress upon me what we were facing. It just made me more determined. Under the cloak, Harry turned to us.

"If you want to go back, I won't blame you," he said. "You can take the cloak, I won't need it now."

I rolled my eyes. "We're not going back, Harry."

"Stop being stupid," said Ron.

"We're coming," said Mione.

He nodded, reassured, before pushing the door open.

As the door creaked, low, rumbling growls met my ears. All three of the dogs noses sniffed madly in our direction, even though it couldn't see us.

"What's that at its feet?" Mione whispered.

"Looks like a harp," said Ron. "Snape must have left it there."

"It must wake the moment you stop playing," said Harry. "Well, here goes-"

"Your not going to sing, are you?" I said, crossing my arms. "I think I'd rather take Fluffy, than hear you sing."

"Even though I know you're lying," Harry said, pulling out Hagrid's flute. "No, I'm not going to sing."

He put it to his lips and blew. It wasn't really a tune, but from the first note the beast's eyes began to droop.

Slowly, the dogs growls ceased - it tottered on its paws and fell to its knees, then it slumped to the ground, fast asleep.

"Keep playing," I warned Harry as we slipped off the cloak and crept towards the trapdoor. I could feel the dogs hot, smelly breath as we approached the giant heads.

"I think we'll be able to pull the door open," said Ron, peering over the dogs back. "Want to go first, Hermione?"

"No, I don't!"

"All right," Ron gritted his teeth and stepped carefully over the dogs legs, with me following closely behind. He bent and pulled the ring of the trapdoor, which swung up and open.

"What can you see?" said Mione anxiously.

"Nothing - just black - there's no way of climbing down, we'll just have to drop."

"I'll go first," I said, pushing infront of Ron.

Harry, who was still playing the flute, waved at me and pointed at himself.

"You want to go first? Are you sure?" said Ron, raising his eyebrows at Harry.

"Of course he doesn't want to go first, he just doesn't want Millie to either," Mione said, giggling.

I ignored her, glancing down through the trap door. There was no sign of the bottom.

"I don't know how deep this thing goes," I said. "Give the flute to Mione so she can keep him asleep."

Harry handed the flute over and quickly made his way over to us. In the few seconds silence, the dog growled and twitched, but the moment Mione began to play, it fell back into its deep sleep.

"I'm going first," Harry told me fiercely. "Please."

I narrowed my eyes at the boy in front of me, trying to use the glare that worked so well with others, but Harry didn't move. I finally sighed, sending him a single nod, before stepping out of the way.

Harry lowered himself through the hole until he was hanging on by his fingertips. Then he looked up at me and said, "If anything happens to me, don't follow. Go straight to the owlery and send Hedwig to Dumbledore, right?"

I heard Ron say, "Right" behind me, but I just continued staring at Harry, having no intention of doing what he just said.

"Promise me," Harry said through gritted teeth.

"No," I replied, smiling sarcastically.

He rolled his eyes and muttered, "See you in a minute then, I hope..."

"See ya, Potter."

And he let go.