EPILOGUE

YOUR BOYFRIEND, IWAIZUMI HAJIME, CLEARS HIS THROAT.

"this is honestly so stupid."

"you're stupid," he fires back. "you wanna hear my speech, don't you?"

you shake your head. "i came here to do math homework with you, ugly," you say. "not to hear your sleep speech."

"aw, come on, y/n." he then proceeds to do this weird puppy-eyes type of thing.

"what are you doing?"

"seducing you."

you give him a strange look as he continues. "stop that, you look so weird," you say.

"is it working though?" he asks.

"no."

"really?"

finally, you give in. "fine, i'll listen to your speech."

he beams and clears his throat once again.

"do you need a cough drop?" you ask, seeing as it's the second time he's done that. you always keep a few cough drops with you in your bag and you're about to reach into your bag for one when he grabs your hand, preventing you from doing so.

"no, no. this is what professional speech givers do," he assures you, giving you a gentle pat on the head. you aren't convinced, but you retract your hand anyway. "anyways, i'm starting, so hush."

he clears his throat again.

"are you sure — "

"shh!" he shushes, before finally starting his speech. "in today's society, most people, especially adolescents, don't get enough sleep."

"tragic," you comment.

he ignores you. "today i am here to inform you about the importance of sleep. according to the article entitled sleep in adolescents, published on the nationwide children's hospital website — "

you interrupt him, "woah, woah, woah. that introduction was like two sentences. where's your thesis?"

"a what?"

"your thesis," you repeat. "you gotta mention the main points of your body paragraphs, like for example: i will first address topic #1, and then #2, and then #3, y'know what i mean? that introduction is too quick, okay, you gotta give me time to process the information you just disclosed to me. plus, why are there no transitions? you're just going straight into the first body paragraph. why?"

"yeah, well, i still got full marks on it."

"probably out of pity. also, you forgot the date and the author in your citation. so unprofessional."

"shut up, i couldn't find them anywhere," he defends himself, flicking your forehead. you mutter a quiet ow as he continues, "not like you could do any better. anyways, according to the article entitled sleep in adolescents, published on the nationwide children's hospital website, 'the average amount of sleep that teenagers get is between 7 and 7¼ hours. however, they need between 9 and 9½ hours.' not getting enough sleep leaves many negative impacts on adolescents. do you want to know what they are?"

"i don't think you're supposed to ask questions in the middle of your speech."

"i know. i'm just making sure you're still listening," he says. "anyways, el-oh-el — teenagers who are sleep deprived have a more difficult time regulating their mood and are more likely to engage in risky and dangerous activities, such as drinking. they will also have problems with attention, memory, decision-making, reaction time, and creativity, which affects their academic performance." he grins, before adding, "that's why you're so stupid."

you gasp. "i hate this speech. worst speech ever, seriously. zero-out-of-ten, would not recommend," you say, pushing him away, which does nothing but make him laugh harder. "if i was your teacher right now, i'd fail you straight away — no transitions, incorrect citations, missing thesis, and rude commentary."

"pfft, don't you wanna hear the rest?" he offers in between laughs.

"no."

"are you sure?"

"yes." to make your point clear, you lie back down on the floor of his room, turning away from him. he sighs and lies down beside you, taking out his phone. you receive a notification from him.

+

h.zumi
friday, dec. 21, 4:47pm

iwaizumi hajime <3:
hey lol 😏
r u mad

y/n <3:
yes
i'm furious
shaking w anger rn 🙄🤬

iwaizumi hajime <3:
oh no 😟
why

y/n <3:
bc
ur mean
u called me stupid!!!!

iwaizumi hajime <3:
well im not wrong am i 🙄

y/n <3:
k

iwaizumi hajime <3:
why k

y/n <3:
bc why not
why r u texting me when u could b talking to me in irl life

iwaizumi hajime <3:
bc why not!!! <3
well actually
i just wanted to say
.
.
.
.
.

y/n <3:
say what

iwaizumi hajime <3:
i love you
😟
why r u looking at me like that

y/n <3:
like what 🤔

iwaizumi hajime <3:
like u dont believe me 😭

y/n <3:
bc i don't

iwaizumi hajime <3:
why
i love you 🥵

y/n <3:
no

iwaizumi hajime <3:
yes
i love you
i love you
i love you

y/n <3:
no

iwaizumi hajime <3:
i love you
i love you
ilvoe you
i lofe you
see
u can even see im typing it out instead of copy n paste bc spelling mistakes
watch
hey look at me
look
watch me type it
i love you
i love you
ilove you
i lobe you

y/n <3:
lobe
no

iwaizumi hajime <3:
YES
i love you 🤬

y/n <3:
say it to my face then

iwaizumi hajime <3:
ugh
ur so problematic but ok 🙄‼️

+

iwaizumi sets his phone down, poking your arm to get your attention. you finally turn to face him as he leans forward, a soft smile on his face.

"i love you."

"okay," you say, turning back around.

"what? hey, i — "

"i love you, too."

THE END