Chapter Four

“Quess, what do you know about Lucas?” Kaitlyn twisted a golden maple leaf in her hand as she walked next to her friend in the fading sunlight. Pine needles crunched under foot, like a soft, spongy blanket on the grass muffling their steps.

Quess’s face lit up. “Lucas? He’s cute, isn’t he?” 

“Yes, he is physically appealing,” Kaitlyn responded, her machinery already whirring to verify her answer. “His face is very symmetrical and pleasing to the eye. However, that’s not what I mean. Do you know anything about him as a person?”

Her young friend stooped to pick a taraxacum, or the plant commonly known as a dandelion, from the ground. “From what I gather, he’s some sort of boy genius. He finished his Master’s degree when he was seventeen. He’s completely dedicated to his work. I don’t think he has much of a life outside of IFICS. I know my grandparents have invited him over to dinner, but he always refuses.” Quess paused thoughtfully, twirling the brilliant yellow weed between two fingers. “He doesn’t seem very social, and I’m pretty sure he’s single. Maybe he’s just shy.” 

Well, Kaitlyn thought, at least it wasn’t just her that he acted aloof around. Lucas was anti-social in general. That knowledge was somewhat comforting. Kaitlyn wasn’t about to admit she fantasized about Lucas on a regular basis. She couldn’t stare at his lips for too long, because she imagined them trailing down her body, and spent too long pondering what that might feel like. 

No, she definitely couldn’t tell Quess that. 

“Why do you ask? Do you have a crush on him?” Quess grinned. 

“A crush?” Kaitlyn asked, confused. Sometimes she wondered if she and Quess spoke the same language. Kaitlyn was programed to understand and speak seven languages, but she didn’t know what her friend was talking about. 

“You know … Do you think he’s hot?” Quess bit her lip, searching for the words. “Does he rock your world and make butterflies dance in your stomach?”

“I don’t know what that means.” Kaitlyn tucked a stray strand of her long hair behind her ear. “I just wanted to know more about him. He’s so young to be working here with your grandfather.”

“I told you, he’s a brainiac. Dr. Harrington plucked him from some Ivy League school. I know Gramps is impressed with him. He says ‘the young man has a brilliant mind’.” Quess held her hands up, bent down her two first fingers, and said, “Air quote.” 

The move emphasized the fact that Kaitlyn couldn’t understand half of the things Quess said, but she enjoyed the girl’s company all the same. 

“Did you know that dandelions are edible, and in French the name means lion’s tooth?”

“Nope, didn’t know that.” Quess smiled. “It must be strange to have random facts always running through your mind.”

Kaitlyn didn’t reply. To her it was normal, so she didn’t know the difference.

It was nice to get outside. Summer was quickly turning into fall; the leaves were beginning to change colors, and the temperature was dropping. Kaitlyn knew they were somewhere in northern Virginia. She had analyzed the dirt and rocks, and compared it to the array of trees. It was mainly the pine trees, dogwoods, and red agate that gave away the location.

Out of curiosity, she had once asked Quess if they were in Virginia, and the girl had confirmed it. 

Whenever she looked at anything, she analyzed it. 

She could look at Quess’s floral-print dress and was able to find out it was from American Eagle. Further, she then knew that American Eagle was a popular American store located in almost every mall. She didn’t know how she knew this, she just did. The clip in Quess’s hair was harder to narrow down because it was produced in several countries, and sold in many stores.