Chapter Seventeen

“Where are we going?” Kaitlyn whispered as they crept past another cluster of brick buildings obscured by darkness. 

Quess smiled mysteriously. “You’ll see …”

Kaitlyn had never been to this side of the compound, and couldn’t help but wonder what Quess was up to. The young girl had pulled her from her room after dinner and acted like they were stealth bombers, sneaking through the compound as they ducked behind walls as employees passed, unaware. 

Tomorrow was the big day. Kaitlyn’s ‘unveiling,’ as Harrington liked to call it. As much as she enjoyed spending time with Quess, she was really hoping to see Lucas alone. 

Now, outside in the cold, dark evening, they flitted beneath the orange circles of lamplight, Quess encouraging Kaitlyn to move faster.

“Why are we in such a hurry?” Kaitlyn asked with a chuckle.

Quess skidded to a stop, gazing up at a large brick building with no visible windows, and ignored the question. 

“This way.” Quess grabbed her hand and pulled her toward the door.

Kaitlyn did a scan of the outside of the building: All clear. The door screeched against the concrete, and then they entered. 

Inside, it appeared to be a large, dimly lit warehouse. Aisles and aisles of metal shelving were filled with food and other supplies, but a thermal scan proved they were alone. 

What in the world is Quess up to now? 

They zigzagged through the aisles toward the back of the building. At the open loading dock sat a Jeep, parked halfway into the building. Lucas jumped out of the vehicle and swung the back door open.

Just the sight of him caused a flush to spread across her face as her body temperature climbed several degrees. 

“Get in. We don’t have much time.”

Without hesitation, Kaitlyn climbed into the back of the Jeep. Lucas covered her body with a soft blanket, but she lifted the blanket and peered out. 

“What about Quess?”

Quess looked down into the back of the Jeep. “I’m just an accomplice this time. Stay safe, Kaitlyn.”

Kate nodded and pulled the blanket back over her head. 

“Be still. We just have to make it through the guard gate. If we get caught, let me take the blame, don’t harm the guard.” The back door clicked into place. Moments later, the engine came to life and they rolled slowly down the road. Kaitlyn’s senses were on high alert, listening for any sign of danger.

Seven minutes later, the Jeep stopped. She could hear the window roll down. “Hey, Matt. Long day?”

“The usual. We’ve been doing random checks of vehicles. Lucky you, you’ve been flagged. Step out for a minute, will you, Lucas?”

“Since when?” Lucas asked.

“Started this morning. Hop out, will you?

“Look, it’s been a long day, man. I just want to get home,” Lucas said smoothly. 

Kaitlyn’s breathing remained steady, and her mind raced to figure out the best course of action. 

“Out of the car, Lucas.”

The door opened, and there was a thump as Lucas dropped to the ground. “Ridiculous,” he muttered under his breath. 

“Pop the hood,” the guard barked, all business.