That's What Friends Do - Chapter 4

Ray had a date on Valentine's day. I couldn't get that thought out of my head. And Con just texted that she had no idea that she was special. No idea that any red blooded Valkyrie would cut off their right hand for the chance to be with her. No idea that female Valkyries were so rare that only the Royals were ever lucky enough to marry one. So maybe that meant that someone like me had a chance. If she didn't know how truly special she was then maybe she would consider someone as unworthy as me. I would even be willing to share her with Con. But first, I had to figure out who she had Valentine's day plans with so that I could ruin them.

--Blake

Jack and I had just sat down at our normal broken table when I heard the shuffle of people on the other side of the table but I refused to look up. I was not going to let another perfectly good meal go to waste because of Valkyrie drama. I stared down at my lasagna and over cooked broccoli and maintained all of my focus on bringing a bite to my lips and chewing before swallowing. Even when I heard the tale-tale signs of another table being dragged over I didn't look up. I did however feel how tense Jack was beside me and kinda wanted to rub this whole thing in his face. He was the one that told me to engage socially.

"Who are you going out with on Friday?" one of the twins asked and it wasn't until I finally looked up to see Blake staring at me with puppy dog eyes that I figured it was him that had asked. Blake was sitting in the middle with Max on his left and Connor on his right. They were the only ones that fit at our broken table, but with a glance I saw that the rest of their click was gathered around a table that they had pulled over to be perpendicular to ours.

When did this become my life?

I took a deep breath and then asked what Blake was he talking about. "Chad said that you turned him down because you already have a date on Friday night, which happens to be Valentine's day. Who are you going out with? Is it Jack?" 

This situation was so far out of my comfort zone that I had no idea what the best move was here. I looked up at Jack and silently asked him to put me out of my misery. I mean, claiming that we were together would protect his secret and it might get everyone to leave me alone. But Jack just gave me a side smile and I knew that he was going to throw a wrench into things.

"Blake, I would much rather be the meat in your twin sandwich than take Ray out on Valentine's day," Jack said with a straight face and it took a minute for his full meaning to sink in. My best friend had just come out of the closet in front of the most popular people in school and insinuated that Blake and Connor liked to share their conquests. 

Once Blake fully comprehended what Jack was implying, his face was a priceless portrait of shock and I couldn't help the peel of laughter that exploded from my chest. I tried to keep a straight face, I really did, but this situation was just too crazy to not laugh at.

Jack smirked at me and I knew that this had been why he pulled this stunt. God bless best friends. My laugh must have been contagious because soon everyone else was also giggling at Blake's inability to wipe the shocked look off his face. All of sudden, I remembered what I had seen in the hall with Blake and Maddison Cleary and I just had to know.

"So the whole twin sandwich thing explains why Maddison is with both of you right? It isn't that she is two timing you both?" I said with a laughter heavy in my voice as I pointed between the Berg twins.

Blake and Connor traded glances before giving me a single nod. I was sobering up and I gave Blake a small smile before saying, "good, cause I was thinking I was going to have to kick her ass for hurting you."

Blake looked shocked all over again and I wondered what I had said this time. "You would do that for me?" he asked in a strangely vulnerable voice and I cocked my head in question.