Royals and Clans - Chapter 12

She was blocking me. From the moment that she learned I had Telepathy, Ray had been blocking me and I had no idea how she was doing it. Some strong shields were able to keep out weaker telepaths, but I wasn't weak and Ray wasn't using a shield. The more time I spent with this woman the more questions that I had and the more impressed I became. The one time I desperately needed to know what someone was thinking and my Gift was failing me. And I wasn't the only one obsessing over her every move. Something was up with my brother this morning. He had been withdrawn all morning and he was singing songs in his head. He only did that when he had something to hide and he was attempting to keep me out. The few thoughts that I did catch, weren't good. In fact, everyone's thoughts were out of sorts this morning. 

It was my job to make things right again.

--Elijah

I slowly got up from the breakfast bar, walked over to the stove to get another serving of quiche, and then sat down at the table like a civilized person. The boys were trying to play it off like they weren't but I could tell that they were all watching me like a hawk. Being the circus freak within this circle was going to get old real fast. I took a couple of small bites of my food before breaking the ice. 

"Okay, so tell me more about Valkyrie. You say that my father was the exception and not the rule. If that is true, then tell me about Valkyrie and how they are different."

Well that statement got their attention. Max and Elijah traded meaningful glaces with each other. Conner looked up from his own plate and leveled me with a thoughtful stare and Blake shifted so that he was now facing the table. No one said anything for a long moment and just when I figured they were going to blow me off Elijah asked, "what would you like to know?"

I thought about that for a second before answering, "tell me about the Royal families. Connor said something about all of the known female Valkyrie being a part of the Royal lines, why is that?"

"Well, just like some human cultures we are governed by a Monarchy with a King and Queen. Each major territory has their own royal family and slightly different laws that they abide by. Most countries only have one royal family, but some territories have such a large Valkyrie population that there are more than one. Conversely, some human countries have a low number of Valkyrie and one King and Queen will rule over more than one. For example, the United States is divided into three Kingdoms, but the entire continent of Africa only has two," Elijah explained in a patient voice. 

Holy shit. They divided America into three Kingdoms. The humans would freak!

"As I think Connor mentioned to you, the only way for a Valkyrie to conceive a baby girl is if both parents are Valkyrie and even then, the odds are low that the couple will have a female. Children of a Valkyrie union tend to be more powerful than if only the father is a Val, thus through the ages the royal families would seek out female Valkyrie to continue on their lines. This tradition continued until the only paired Valkyrie couples were all part of the various royal families. Now, when a royal female Valkyrie comes of age, her family will pair her with a prince of another line. That prince will go to her home Kingdom and eventually they will become the new King and Queen."

"That sounds a whole hell of a lot like arranged marriages," I commented, disgusted by the idea that women were basically being traded for political favors. I hadn't thought much about what any of my future relationships would look like, but being auctioned off to the highest bidder sounded like something straight out of my nightmares. "Do any females marry for love?"

"Valkyries don't fall in love," Connor said harshly. 

Okay, so touchy subject. I remembered Chastity telling me that the Three Musketeers went through women like it was some sort of competition to see who could wear out their dick first because they knew that they could never have a real relationship with a woman. Maybe right now wasn't the right time to have this conversation.